Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious question, please don't turn this into some bs arguement...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:56 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Default serious question, please don't turn this into some bs arguement...

as i will be doing extensive research, i am very curious as to why most people with mustangs go with superchargers rather than turbo kits? what are the pros and cons of each because i've just graduated college so i'll be getting into the money very soon (or at least i hope) so i might be able to upgrade very soon and i am interested in soupin' up Mojo (my stang). please help. thank you in advance to everyone that helps me out.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
as i will be doing extensive research, i am very curious as to why most people with mustangs go with superchargers rather than turbo kits? what are the pros and cons of each because i've just graduated college so i'll be getting into the money very soon (or at least i hope) so i might be able to upgrade very soon and i am interested in soupin' up Mojo (my stang). please help. thank you in advance to everyone that helps me out.
IMO it's because most supercharger kits are complete, easy to install, and have boost that is pulley limited. Not much thought has to go into a supercharger installation.

A turbo can make more power per psi, it's cheaper, and it's easier to crank the boost up or down. The downsides to a turbo are some fabrication is usually required, spool time is gear dependant, and they rely on a wastegate to control boost. IMO a turbo requires more thought, time, and effort. It rewards you with gobs of torque.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Tuning is also much easier on a supercharger once you get into serious boost (in my experience).
Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

idk about turbos being cheaper. thats not always the case
Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

^ +1, back when I wsa looking at turbos and superchargers for my last mustang the turbo kits were about $7000. you can get a vortech supercharger for around $5000
Old 12-18-2010, 11:30 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I'd say packaging. Aftermarket turbos for V engines is just much more difficult. In line engines are a piece of cake in comparison. And Superchargers are actually more street friendly as the power is always there instantly available so they feel more powerful even if they aren't. I have owned numerous turbo cars some I have turboed from scratch my Mustang is going to have an engine mounted supercharger
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

i don't really mind the install issues and all as i probably won't be installing it myself (don't trust myself when it comes to auto) but as far as being more street friendly, superchargers are the ideal choice? this is my daily driver and will be for a while (hopefully 2014 when i buy my new gt, haah) so that is a big issue for me...as far as maintenance, which is ideal? from the previous comments i'm thinking it's supercharger but it was never really directly answered. it's not like i'll be racing my vehicle but i do want to have a lot of fun and the turbo also catches my attention for the simple fact that you don't see too many at shows or anywhere for that matter and i like being different, haha.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

i'd like to add that i'd probably go to brenspeed for the install but that might change when i get the chance to research more, i'm a little fried after my last go with college finals so i'm gonna take a weekend away from reading of any kind non-forum related
Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

i would guess that a supercharger would be more street friendly...haven't seen too many DD turbocharged stangs around...i'd talk to a technician since they are the ones that would be installing...or even call up brenspeed, they should know...hope you find something that works for you
Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I don't know about superchargers, but I've owned a high boost DD. In the end it boiled down to maintenance cost. Not exactly a mechanic. I couldn't keep up with the cost of keeping the car on the road. I cut a few corners, and boom went the engine.

Quick Reply: serious question, please don't turn this into some bs arguement...