Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random topic: is the 2010+ bodystyle popular with the "babyboomers"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11 GT CVT
When Toyota introduced the Celica coupe in the 70's, eventually called Supra, they purchased first generation Mustangs and studied them to find out what made a successful pony car. The rear ends on the Celicas were almost a dead ringer for an update of the 64 to 66 Mustangs. Toyota kept that heritage rear end with updates to the end of the Celica and Supra. So, if the 10+ Mustang back end looks kind of like a Toyota, that could be because the Toyota was styled to look like a first generation Mustang from the get go. Might be testing some memories but the Celica was known as a Japanese Mustang for a long time.

I went with Mustang because of the

5.0 engine performance
convertible top
high quality interior
decent passenger room and almost decent trunk

Other than liking the sequential tail lights, one of the best of Ford's Better Ideas, I really don't pay that much attention to the rear of the car. Lots of current cars look like the stying department took the day off when they got to the rear end of the car. Even if you hate the Mustang's rear end at least it's got enough styling to be a love it or hate it design. Most cars are so bland in terms of styling that there is nothing to like or dislike about them at all.
I too remember Celicas, well the earliest ones I can remember are from the '90s, I was a bit too young to remember Celicas o any older.

Speaking of performance cars, though the Celica might have been the "clone" Mustang of the Toyotas, I don't recall any of them beating a 'Stang, unless they were heavily modified.

I was never put in the situation in which I had to choose between a 'Stang and a Celica, but if I were, I too would buy the 'Stang over the Celica any day.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I really do love just about everything about the 11s. The style, the power, etc. But that rear end will always be a deal breaker for me. The 2 things that would need to change is the lights would need to go back to the 05-09 style, and the ugly plastic thing at the bottom of the bumper would need to die. They ruin the car for me. I get pissed whenever I see one because I think about how bad ford messed up. If the body panels between the 05-09s and the 2010-11s matched up better, I could see buying an 11 and having a good body shop patch the 05-09 rear end on it.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

Yes a baby boomer I am and the "11"was the first year to really get my attention though the 10 is just as nice IMO

There must be 2 dozen things about the 11 that remind me of my old departed 67 ,hints on interior ,exterior.

But its the things that are completely different looking that intrigue me the most on the 2011, such as the hid lght pkg..

With the hid and GT lights - the gt lights dominate the front apperance and thats whats most obvoius about that and I love it.

Also wasnt too thrilled with the brembo wheels but theyve grown on me and Im happy with them now .

Also I think the stripes(shelby style 8 or 10 inch ) have stood time well and still look great on all the models with few exceptions.

So long and short --- the mix of the 2010 and newer body style is what sucked me in ...almost feel as if i had traded my old coupe for a new fastback , and because of that I like the louvres over the quarter windows on 10 and 11
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11 GT CVT
When Toyota introduced the Celica coupe in the 70's, eventually called Supra, they purchased first generation Mustangs and studied them to find out what made a successful pony car. The rear ends on the Celicas were almost a dead ringer for an update of the 64 to 66 Mustangs. Toyota kept that heritage rear end with updates to the end of the Celica and Supra. So, if the 10+ Mustang back end looks kind of like a Toyota, that could be because the Toyota was styled to look like a first generation Mustang from the get go. Might be testing some memories but the Celica was known as a Japanese Mustang for a long time.
Hmmm that's interesting. Shame Toyota basically discontinued all it's sports cars though