Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsor in a 'stang

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

neither did eye.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:10 PM
winslow33

Originally Posted by 39mto39g
Someone took your 460 and replaced it with a 302
never said that was a pic of my block, lol.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:58 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

First off, welcome to the Forums.

A stroker from the 351 block would have been a better option because of weight, but too late now...

For front springs, you might have to get custom ones made...
Check with drag racers on that.
You'll have to get a "real" throttle pedal, so you can rig up a cable system to go to your carb.
Use motor mounts from a truck that carried a 460 and fabricate brackets to mate them to the engine cradle.
Next, fuel cell in the trunk and Flowmasters mid muffler in place of the OEM saddle tank, yes!!

I'm almost certain that the OEM 8.8 rear axle won't last too long due to the new found increase of torque and power.
Start looking for a 9 inch to replace it...

In any case, you'll have to fabricate a bunch of stuff and since there is more than one way of doing this, take your time and weight things out before you get in there and start wrenching.
A good plan is a must in those kind of projects but it's way cool when done right.

Good luck Sir.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM
winslow33

Originally Posted by pascal
First off, welcome to the Forums.

A stroker from the 351 block would have been a better option because of weight, but too late now...

For front springs, you might have to get custom ones made...
Check with drag racers on that.
You'll have to get a "real" throttle pedal, so you can rig up a cable system to go to your carb.
Use motor mounts from a truck that carried a 460 and fabricate brackets to mate them to the engine cradle.
Next, fuel cell in the trunk and Flowmasters mid muffler in place of the OEM saddle tank, yes!!

I'm almost certain that the OEM 8.8 rear axle won't last too long due to the new found increase of torque and power.
Start looking for a 9 inch to replace it...

In any case, you'll have to fabricate a bunch of stuff and since there is more than one way of doing this, take your time and weight things out before you get in there and start wrenching.
A good plan is a must in those kind of projects but it's way cool when done right.

Good luck Sir.
thanks for the encouragement, most people look at me like im dumb when i say im slapping a new block in an '05 stang..
One other thing i thought of, the K-member, is there a company that'll be able to machine one of these baby's up so i can drop the block in its new home?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

A 460ci? That is nutz!

You sir will have a serious strip monster; with the right components, that big block will twist everything downstream of it into shreds.

If you plan to street this car, does Canadian law force you to have all the same emissions control that came with the original chassis?
The only reason why I ask is because US Federal regulations madate such a thing and the States pretty much have adopted that regulation and passed them into their state laws.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
A 460ci? That is nutz!

You sir will have a serious strip monster; with the right components, that big block will twist everything downstream of it into shreds.

If you plan to street this car, does Canadian law force you to have all the same emissions control that came with the original chassis?
The only reason why I ask is because US Federal regulations madate such a thing and the States pretty much have adopted that regulation and passed them into their state laws.
As far as laws, depends...
Here in FL, we don't have inspections and no enforcement of any kind, so you can do pretty much what you want with your car.

OP, not many conversions have been made on these cars with pushrod mills and with the abundance of superchargers, there is no market for what you're about to do.
There is a youtube video with a 05 V6 converted to a 460 floating around...
You'll have to fabricate/modify the K-member but I'm not sure that you'll need to necessarily.
FRPP makes a rear sump oil pan for the 460, designed (to a point) to fit in cars with rack and pinion like fox bodies etc...
If your engine has that pan, you're half way there...

Last edited by pascal; 12-25-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I like where this is going...

Subscribing for interest
Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winslow33
Will these wiring mods effect any stock mustang electronics like my ABS, traction control and that stuff? Sorry if i sound like a n00b but its the first time ive done MAJOR mods to anything newer than an '89 with no computer

the engine I'm going with is a FRPP crate engine it is not stock. It has GT-40x Aluminum heads, Roller rockers, E-303 cam and forged pistons

Going with a C6 auto tranny. would love a standard but its an automatic car right now, so im going to stick with that till its moving under its own power, do a standard swap later.

I have the rear end figured out, wich i have my reasons for keeping secret at this time so it doesnt get ripped off.

Suspension- i know this block is gonna be a LOT heavier than stock. What front suspension should i do? Someone said i could probably use Mustang Cobra font suspension as they have a pretty heavy block?
There are companies with K members (like BMR) that will make a k-member with no motor mounts. The benifit for this is you can take the mounts of something like the truck you are talking about and use the mounts on the K member.

I do not know about the wiring stuff. There are several computers that control mulitple things in the S197. Best bet is to get a wiring diagram and study it..

Wise choice on the C6.

You can put a locker with 35 spline axles behind the motor up until you hit really high power numbers. A 9" will work too, obviously.

S197forums has a build going on now where the OP did something nearly idenitcal to what you want to do. Check it out.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 PM
eddieval5
3rd Gear Member

Hmm this reminds me of the 589ci done a while back in an 08