MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Is a short throw shifter really needed?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/627227-is-a-short-throw-shifter-really-needed.html)

Burns 12-25-2010 02:02 PM

Is a short throw shifter really needed??

I like the stock shifter, the only reason I would buy an aftermarket one is to prevent from damaging my transmission. How hard is it to damage your transmission though without an aftermarket shifter?

Nuke 12-25-2010 02:24 PM

You can damage your tranny with the OE or an aftermarket shifter but I'm not sure why you think the shifter makes any difference. A short throw is worth about a tenth second at the track and has nothing to do with tranny reliability.

Wil 12-25-2010 02:30 PM

I was thinking of buying the same thing, I heard MGW make the best, the shifter and pony knob is sitting in my cart, I'm debating on hitting the buy button as I write this.

Cal26Stang 12-25-2010 02:54 PM

I love my hurst, install was easy, it looks and feels good....I got it on CL for 100$

Diabolical! 12-25-2010 05:15 PM

If you don't mind that your right hand has to cross time zones every time you shift gears, then the stocker is fine. For me, I needed a little less distance. It's ne easier to damage your transmission with an aftermarket shifter than it is to damage it with the stock piece. Go for the MGW. Very stout piece. If they had been on the market back when I bought my Hurst, my decision would have been much tougher.

Burns 12-25-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 7346523)
You can damage your tranny with the OE or an aftermarket shifter but I'm not sure why you think the shifter makes any difference. A short throw is worth about a tenth second at the track and has nothing to do with tranny reliability.

I thought aftermarket shifters had adjustable bolts to keep you from slamming gears really hard and causing damage.

I wouldn't be buying one to cut off time. I don't drag race

oldlugs 12-25-2010 05:36 PM

I like the short throw, but not the short stick that came with my Hurst billet+, so I made my own stick. It's still got a shorter, more precise throw than stock, but my stick puts the ball (I've switched back to Hurst white ball) right where I like it; about 1-1/2" higher and 1" further back than the short Hurst stick. Stick is made of 6061 T6 aluminum.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/...d59b8257_z.jpg

I'm not slammin' gears either, so just removed the stop bolts.
Unless you don't mind lubing the Hurst now & then so it doesn't rattle, go with an MGW. :)

Burns 12-25-2010 05:44 PM

the thing is though, I don't want a short throw.

I'm just trying to find out if I am going to damage my tranny and if it'd be better to have a short throw to protect the tranny.

I was under the impression that the stop bolts prevent you from it

siggyfreud 12-25-2010 06:17 PM

If you aren't racing, you're not slamming gears and shifting hard. If you are slamming gears and shifting hard, you're probably racing and should consider a short throw.

It sounds like you'd be okay sticking with the stock shifter. I for one have never owned a car WITHOUT a short shift. They all came with the SS pre-installed. Having driven my mom's Mini with the stock shifter, I can say that I definitely enjoy a shorter throw.

Vader GT 12-25-2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 7346704)
If you aren't racing, you're not slamming gears and shifting hard. If you are slamming gears and shifting hard, you're probably racing and should consider a short throw.

It sounds like you'd be okay sticking with the stock shifter. I for one have never owned a car WITHOUT a short shift. They all came with the SS pre-installed. Having driven my mom's Mini with the stock shifter, I can say that I definitely enjoy a shorter throw.

I agree, to me it makes the whole driving expirience that much better.