Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only person who doesn't like lowered stangs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Default Am I the only person who doesn't like lowered stangs?

This is absolutely NOT a troll.

I've always seen lowering as something more suited for a customized Caddy, or 50's chevy with a chopped top done by car jocks in the 80's. Then, with the advent of stiffer suspensions, the street rally and drift cars started lowering their rides in the 90's. Finally, probably no more than 8-10 years ago, people started lowering muscle cars. I think big names like Foose started it really, or at least brought to the mainstream.

Not me, though. I like the high and wide, tail in the air, leaning forward, ready to pounce stance that muscle cars used to have. Heck, back in the 70's in wasn't uncommon to see guys actually RAISE their rear an inch to get that "classic" muscle car look.

Anyway, no hate at all. Many of you have awesome looking lowered rides.... I was just wondering if I'm the last of a dying breed? My car is not lowered and my rear tires extend a half inch outside my fender walls.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

This is why I like lowered Mustangs:

Last edited by BlackBetty; 12-25-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Edited for HTML stupidity
Old 12-25-2010, 04:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

there is too much 4x4 going on out back not to be lowered. i still have rake with mine but the wheel gap is gone. Also the added lower center of gravity is big too. handling feels much better
Old 12-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty
This is why I like lowered Mustangs:

[img] http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBcQ9QEwAA [/img]
Oh, don't get me wrong, that looks really nice!!!

It's just that it screams more "European" than it does "Muscle" to me.

Would look fine on a BMW

*Reminder, this is just an opinion thread. No hate coming from me at all. But wondering how many responses are on my side.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:17 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

You're not the only one. Personally I see it both ways, I think of lowered stangs as a racing look, focusing on the more race type aspect of the mustang. On the other hand, I think those that like the more forward leaning cars and stock height or maybe a touch higher see the mustang for more of the muscle car that it is and was.

Personally I'm with you, I bought the mustang looking for a muscle car, not a sports car. I love hearing my engine roar and having my hood scoop bulge up in front of me while i'm driving. I think lowering the car takes away from the muscle car aspect of the mustang and don't see doing it to my car.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:27 PM
1200bruce
1st Gear Member

I would think the ride would suffer!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

1200bruce, that's one of the reasons I have not lowered mine. I want the best ride possible. I have 89,000 miles on my car now and can't imagine riding in it all those miles with it riding like a tank. I won't say I don't like lowered Stangs, I just prefer not to lower mine. I think it looks great stock height.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm sort of with you on this. I do to my suspension what is best for my car's intended purposes. I go straight down the track without using the steering wheel much, so lowering my car to the ground would not be very productive. If I was building a corner-carver, then it would likely sit much lower. With 28" tires in the rear, 26" in the front and a mostly stock suspension, I think I've got the look you like.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:14 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

They look good lowered as long as the front wheels sit at the correct angle. I have seen some with a real tilt at the top. I prefer the lowered look on someone else's car though, not mine. I have always lifted the back of my classics but leave the new ones stock. I may add wider tires that are a bit taller to fill the well. I say to each his own. I can enjoy and appreciate the work put into any car even if it is not my style.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of lowering purely for appearance sake, partly because of the sacrifices you make and partly because I don't want my car to promise more with its "look" than it can deliver mechanically. I've already had one car that wouldn't clear a standard 12-oz beer can laying on its side, and I'm quite sure that the lowering springs being 25% - 50% stiffer than OE has more to do with any handling improvement than a 1.7" drop in the sprung CG height ever could.

Me, I'll take my 25% - 50% extra spring rate with less than 1" lowering for my street driven car, probably more like 1/2" - 3/4". Purely from the appearance point of view, if/when I get around to swapping springs - if you were to look at it and it didn't look quite stock but you're weren't quite sure why, then I've done it up right for me.

Norm

Quick Reply: Am I the only person who doesn't like lowered stangs?