Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust Install Questions

What would be the cheapest way to get it done?

I am planning on installing a Pypes Mid-Muffler System. I've been told it's a PITA to install myself, and I won't be happy with it unless I get it welded in, so that is the plan.

However, would it save me money to fit all the parts myself and then take it in to be welded? Or should I just have them do the entire install?

I have the money for the install, but if I could save some of it, that would be the optimal solution (college student...). That said, I'm willing to dish it out to get it right.

Just checking before I take it in.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Give the shop a call and ask them how much it will cost to install and ask them how much it would just cost to weld it only and decide from there!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Well...that was interesting.

I called 2 local companies.

American Muffler said that "Pypes is the best brand on the market." He said he could have it done in an hour and a half at $50 an hour. He said it might take as short a time as 30 minutes.

B & G Muffler quoted me "about $125."

I've never dealt with exhaust work locally, and these 2 shops received the best reviews I could find. Everyone on here was leading me to believe that the install would be in the $250-$300 range, so this is promising. I'm going to run up to a local used car dealer that knows a ton about Mustangs and see what he recommends shop wise around here.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have you looked to see what it entails to install it yourself? There really is no need to have it welded. The stock exhaust unbolts pretty easily despite a tight spot or 2 and the aftermarket systems are designed to fit and bolt right up. It took me about 2 hours with just a couple of pretty basic tools to install my Stingers and I'm rather **** when it comes to working on the Stang.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

I have looked, evidently the Pypes Mid Muffler is a PITA. I could be wrong, but I've heard the fitment is rough.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
gandyj
1st Gear Member

Have you purchased the system yet?
There's not much to the install, the adjustment(s) can be a pain in the butt to get just right.
The clamps, unless they've changed them may be kind of iffy.
When you tighten the clamps the little metal wedge in the clamp has a tendency to break.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

do it yourself. if it doesn't work out well, take it in and have it done.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

The only hard part of the install is getting the stock muffler off! Other than that it's cake.

new clamps come with the kit (or at least they did with mine).
Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Yeah its not to hard to do. I put mine on my self. I would reccommend putting it together in your living room, before you put it together under the car. Also an excellent tool for exhaust install is a rubber mallet. It can be a little difficult to get good leverage on all the pieces under the car. Not hard at all. Put it together, and if you want to have it welded just go ahead and take it a shop once you get it clamped under there. Also the right tip is going to hang lower than the left. If you see that don't worry that's just how they work. Another reason to take it to the shop and have them heat and bend.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:21 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I installed my Pypes O/R H-pipe and flowmasters myself. I had access to a lift so if you can get on one I highly recommend it as it would be a real PITA on ramps. Other than having one stubborn bolt on the headers, it wasn't very hard and took me about an hour or so. I then went to a muffler shop and they welded the H up where the factory pipe is one piece, so I have a one piece H pipe (the pypes h comes in 4 pieces and the clamps suck). Other than that everything is bolted on just like the stock system. The muffler shop charged me $35 to weld up the H pipe and the even re-fit my mufflers for me as they were a tad off center in the bumper cutouts.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Install Questions