Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where/how do you mount your GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

In the glove box, It's called a map
Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I believe the '10 is just like the '11. You can get them either way: with all vent the round or the two vents closest to the car centerline rectangular.
does your 5.0 have round in teh center? AFAIK you cna only get the rectangle centers and round outers on 10 and 11 cars, no options there.

I mentioned i will be in a rally this summer a few days ago, won a sport with cj pony parts. i am toying with the idea of just using the factory nav. Fords factory unit is very nice. i love sync and have 0 desire to lose that ability with an aftermarket nav set up. i recall a thread around here somewhere about what it takes to put the ford nav into a car that didn't come with it but in all the thread searching i can't find it. Anyone point me to it or to another thread about that, preferably 10 specific here or anywhere else.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
In the glove box, It's called a map
...and lately I was beginning to think that a MapQuest printout was old school.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 AM
JimC

I just came across this online GPS - surprisingly accurate, it will find your location

http://www.darnay.com/iec/features/locator/index.html
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i recall a thread around here somewhere about what it takes to put the ford nav into a car that didn't come with it but in all the thread searching i can't find it. Anyone point me to it or to another thread about that, preferably 10 specific here or anywhere else.
Yeah I cant find that thread either, but IIRC it was someone who ordered a 2010 with the Nav and didnt get it. In the end it turned out the adding factory nav to one that didnt come with it was way more involved then just swapping out the units and I think it was crazy $$$.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

does your 5.0 have round in teh center? AFAIK you cna only get the rectangle centers and round outers on 10 and 11 cars, no options there.
My specific car has the rectangular vents closest to the centerline of the car.

For the '11 having all four vents circular, I only know this because when I was shopping for an '11, the dealer I went to had a brand new '11 GT Premium 5.0 with all 4 vents being circular. Moreover, they were the type that you could completely close, where the majority (or all) of the '11s with rectangular ones cannot be closed off at all.

I should have bought that red one; I like the round vents that you can completely close off way better than the rectangular vents.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Hmmmm....never saw an '11 with the round center vents. That would take an entire new dash panel and hose layout......but then again, I have not seen everything in this life yet....
Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

interesting, seen lots of 5.0's and 10's and my gt is a 10 premium and it has rectangular. id like to see one all round. i could use the round ones in the center so i can put in more gauges without resorting to a pillar pod.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

interesting, seen lots of 5.0's and 10's and my gt is a 10 premium and it has rectangular. id like to see one all round. i could use the round ones in the center so i can put in more gauges without resorting to a pillar pod.
I agree. I personally would like to use each of the center round vents to mount my SCT TSX unit and GPS unit (I don't have the Sync & Navi packages).

As for the additional gauges, such as boost, A/F ratio, etc., I would be absolutely grateful if someone would design, make, and sell an aftermarket gauge cluster to replace the stock S197 ones. Call it a 10-gauge cluster or whatever, but I just personally like to have all my gauges in the dash.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Hmmmm....never saw an '11 with the round center vents. That would take an entire new dash panel and hose layout......but then again, I have not seen everything in this life yet....
Well, I do speak with a caveat: That red '11 5.0 Premium might have been an inventory custom ordered car that the deal fell through on.

So I do admit that this specific car could have been a one of a kind. But I have no proof it is just one of a kind, so please do take my word with a bit of salt.

Quick Reply: Where/how do you mount your GPS