Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW wont go into 2nd at all

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default MGW wont go into 2nd at all

hey guys just installed my shifter and i cant get into 2nd at all. im going back over to check everything but does anyone have any suggestions at all? its really weird i can get into every other gear
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ok so i got it into second. what was happening was that i was shifting like i normally do: put it into gear, take my hand off, then let out the clutch to engage. what was happening was that when i took my hand off, the shifter would move out of the area where it could be engaged, so what i had to do was keep applying pressure to the shifter until the gear had engaged. then when i clutched in, you can see the shifter pop forward a bit. also is doing it in 4th. so my question is if this is a normal thing that goes away when it is broken in, or am i still doing something wrong. i have the notch set at 5 turns and yes its facing the drivers side. im gonna call mgw tm to see if they can help. thanks for any help!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

you need to check and be sure you got that arrow that says "this towards drivers side" on the part under the car that you turn to adjust throws aimed correctly. Also, don;t tighten it all the way down. it sort of sounds like you have the throws set so short the springs are pulling it into neutral. mine will almost shift itself into third if you hit the thing and let it go. the springs are very strong. Do you just have it tightened all the way down? Try 7 turns out from full tight and be sure that arrow is pointing the right way. those are the only two things i can think of that could go wrong if you have the bolts tightened up and all the parts installed.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^agreed..
Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
alright well i know for sure its pointed towards the driver since they really emphasized it with the install vid so i double checked that. my problem might be that im only 5 turns so i might just need to turn it out some more. i think ill wait till its broken in tho since i assume the springs will loose some of their stiffness. so if in a week or so if its the same ill jack it back up and turn it out.
if its actually comign out of gear, something is not right. i don't think the springs will losen that much and i have never heard anyone else say they had that issue with a MGW.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

alright well i know for sure its pointed towards the driver since they really emphasized it with the install vid so i double checked that. my problem might be that im only 5 turns so i might just need to turn it out some more. i think ill wait till its broken in tho since i assume the springs will loose some of their stiffness. so if in a week or so if its the same ill jack it back up and turn it out.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

it doesnt come out of gear when engaged, only before its engaged it doesnt stay in the spot where it needs to be to become engaged. im gonna call mgw tm so well see what they say
Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Mine also takes more pressure than OEM and if you are not pulling hard enough, you will get 4th. Not a problem unless you get a little lazy on the 1-2 shift. I have 7 turns on mine and I love the short throw, but it does take some effort to get into certain gears. You will get used to it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ok cool to know. i guess i will just have to adjust to the new way of shifting
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ok so update if i have it in either 2nd or 4th and let off the gas completely (no clutch) when i get back on the gas theres nothing there, the tranny has come out of gear. now i know for sure that the springs arent supposed to pull it out of gear. also if i try to pull it back into 2nd or 4th it grinds gears (ouch )unless i double clutch it. im gonna be calling mgw tomorrow when they open up to try and figure it out but any advice until then would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: MGW wont go into 2nd at all