Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First clay bar experience WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I am pretty sure Ultimate compound is a heavier cut then the wolfgang..if you used teh tangerine pad with teh Ultimate compound that would probably even be enough to clean it up and finish down nicely..but i say tape a small area..use the SwirlX and the tangerine to see if that removes all the marks..if it does do car with that..if didnt get all try teh UC with the tangerine pad and see if it works and finish down without any hazeing in the paint..if it hazes up some..follow up with the red pad and Swirl X..but i would only try the Cyan and UC as if nothing else works because that combo will have ALOT of cut..remember always try and use least aggressive combo as needed to get job done. be sure to order 3 of those towels to..cause if you have sub par microfibers..you will just put swirls and spiderweb marks all back in paint you just buffed
Thanks man you helped me learn alot. I am going to order the stuff hopefully in the next week or so and try and get my swirls out. I tried it by hand and got nowhere. I will follow the steps you said and start as least aggressive and work my way to more aggressive until I find the right setting. Hope everything works out for me. I will post up when I order everything.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

There are a lot of vids on detailing on youtube, please educate yourself first...once you ruined the clearcoat, it's re-paint time $$$$$$$
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Very nice job, I washed mine the other day to get all the salt off of it. It was like 35 degrees but I had to lol, good thing for a brush on a stick.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
There are a lot of vids on detailing on youtube, please educate yourself first...once you ruined the clearcoat, it's re-paint time $$$$$$$
Its about a 1% chance of doing ANY damage to paint with a porter cable Dual action. Even with the heaviest cutting pad and some M105 it would take sitting in one spot for 5min to probably cause any..Please dont try and make it sound like its hard to do and scare others because its not hard at all and there is maybe a 5min learning curve on that PC before you are good to go with it
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
Its about a 1% chance of doing ANY damage to paint with a porter cable Dual action. Even with the heaviest cutting pad and some M105 it would take sitting in one spot for 5min to probably cause any..Please dont try and make it sound like its hard to do and scare others because its not hard at all and there is maybe a 5min learning curve on that PC before you are good to go with it
Yeah the PC is a great system since it isn't going to tear your paint up really quick if you don't know what you're doing, and if you do know what you're doing, you're cutting hours off your labor on the car.

The main tip here is don't use a rotary tool on a car unless you know what you're doing, because that will QUICKLY eat through your paint.