Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the ambient lighting called in mustangs? +Other Questions. New buyer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 AM
crewxp

Default Whats the ambient lighting called in mustangs? +Other Questions. New buyer!

Hey, I'm going to be a first time buyer of a mustang pretty soon. Pretty cool. I'm a beginner right now, but expect to mod it up and make it my own over time.

Anyway, I was just curious on a few things. Hopefully some of you guys might know the answer to them. Number one's quick and easy and two is most imporant. 3 and 4 I can figure out on my own but just thought I might ask.

1.) Whats the ambient lighting in mustangs called? Ive seen in some photos where the word Mustang and cupholders light up different colors. When I'm finalizing my mustang decision, is there a way to tell if it has that option without actually testing it out? (Aka: Do all premiums have it? Is it called something specific, etc)

2.) When buying a used mustang, is there anything in particular I should look for in terms of problems? (Specifically when buying from a private seller). Like are there known physical problems to ask or look for? (Except from the obvious like carfax, mileage, etc). What would you look for? Just asking because some of the cars im looking at I can't test drive and will have to have it shipped to me.

3.) Would you say there's a large difference in gas usage in terms of the v6 and v8? (Non 2011)

4.) What would you say you pay for your insurance? Are there things you can do to lower the costs?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Welcome!

1.The ambient lighting is called MyColor. It is part of one of the packages. Don't know why you wouldn't want to test it out though.

2.There is a TSB on the water leak issue. Mostly 05 and 06s have it. Someone will chime in on how to check for it/fix it. If you don't have it already you probably will. You really want to look at all of the TSBs and make sure the car does not have them.

3.Not huge, but my v6 gets a few more mpg then my dad's GT/CS.

4.I can't help with insurance. I am 16, and pay about 1200 dollars a year.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Ambient is called ambient lighting. Mycolor is the feature of the cluster being able to be set to a custom color. You only have 8 choices for ambient. All premiums have mycolor. Ambient lighting was an option on 07 and 08 and part of premium package after that.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Insurance is going to depend on your age and the value of the car you get, your best bet would be to phone around or get online quotes. I pay 90 a month for full coverage of my 2010. I'm 34 yo.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hey, I'm going to be a first time buyer of a mustang pretty soon. Pretty cool. I'm a beginner right now, but expect to mod it up and make it my own over time.

Anyway, I was just curious on a few things. Hopefully some of you guys might know the answer to them. Number one's quick and easy and two is most imporant. 3 and 4 I can figure out on my own but just thought I might ask.

1.) Whats the ambient lighting in mustangs called? Ive seen in some photos where the word Mustang and cupholders light up different colors. When I'm finalizing my mustang decision, is there a way to tell if it has that option without actually testing it out? (Aka: Do all premiums have it? Is it called something specific, etc) I suppose the guys above answered this one.

2.) When buying a used mustang, is there anything in particular I should look for in terms of problems? (Specifically when buying from a private seller). Like are there known physical problems to ask or look for? (Except from the obvious like carfax, mileage, etc). What would you look for? Just asking because some of the cars im looking at I can't test drive and will have to have it shipped to me. From your post, it appears that you're looking for an '05-'10 but you weren't specific. As in any model vehicle, problems arise in the first year model and then slowly disappear in subsequent years. The S197 Mustang is no different. Most of those issues are listed in the TSB's (you can find these in the 2005-2011 main forum stickies). Some TSB's are more serious that others so it's best to become familiar with them so you can strike any car you look at off your list if they have any of the more serious ones (i.e., water leak).

3.) Would you say there's a large difference in gas usage in terms of the v6 and v8? (Non 2011) Not really. I have an '07 GT and my g/f has an '06 Pony. I'd say on average she gets maybe 2-3 MPG more than I do (but then again, she has a lead foot). But you're buying a performance car; you have to play to pay. The V6 vs V8 debate rages on.

4.) What would you say you pay for your insurance? Are there things you can do to lower the costs? This varies so much that I won't even answer other than to say that the variables are the insurance company, your age, sex, driving history, location...

Last edited by Nuke; 01-03-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Ambient is called ambient lighting. Mycolor is the feature of the cluster being able to be set to a custom color. You only have 8 choices for ambient. All premiums have mycolor. Ambient lighting was an option on 07 and 08 and part of premium package after that.
How accurate is that statement? I was told that my 05 is a premium (leather, bullitt rims, shaker 500) but it doesn't have Mycolor or the IUP (interior upgrade package). Could the 05 Premiums be without the Mycolor unless optioned with this?

Don
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I have never heard of an S197 Premium not having MyColor and IUP.

I think in 2005 you could have added Leather, Shaker 500 and Wheels to the base model though so that is probably what you have.

Last edited by dmhines; 01-03-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
How accurate is that statement? I was told that my 05 is a premium (leather, bullitt rims, shaker 500) but it doesn't have Mycolor or the IUP (interior upgrade package). Could the 05 Premiums be without the Mycolor unless optioned with this?

Don
Explained by previous poster, but understandable. Ford's convention for this is convoluted at best. But I think it's the same for most companies to make the extra buck.

The CS I have as an example, differing (upgraded) interior, with ambient lighting, but the mycolor 6-guage cluster isn't there, but the upgraded auto-switching rear-view is, heated seats, etc..

Cluster just didn't bother me much as the 2 extra are more analog idiot lights then truly metering anything anyhow as I understood it.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas

Don
I believe mycolor was not available until 2007. My 06 V6 is a "V6 Premium with the Pony Package", so I know that in 2006 premium V6s did not have mycolor.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

MyColor WAS available in the '06 model. My g/f's '06 Pony Package with IUP is sitting in my garage and it has it.

Quick Reply: Whats the ambient lighting called in mustangs? +Other Questions. New buyer!