Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default HID Headlights question

Hey guys,

I installed an HID conversion kit into my mustang about 6 months ago. They are working great, and I love how much it lights up the road. I will never go back!!

However, I get flashed a lot from on-coming cars. Is this a common occurrence or is there something I should have done to keep from blinding other drivers?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

most likely its just the intensity of your head lights. the ones at night that people dont like are the 8000k or higher bulbs, sometimes they can be blinding, if they are lower than that, the prople who flash you are jack#$%es and just need to grow a pair and deal with it lol
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

i hate those dang slightly lifted truks with like 10k HIDs they blind you
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Be sure that your headlights are aimed properly number one.

Also, what wattage are you running? I have the 35w 5000K HID's and have never been flashed. I also have the bulb caps built into my housing, but some people's headlights are missing those, that's why Todd at Retro-Solutions offers a bulb capping service. Perhaps this is your issue too?

Don
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Either bulb caps or the coating (i can't recall it's technical term) are provided to prevent glare to on-coming drivers. I've heard that cheaper kits don't have either.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
...the prople who flash you are jack#$%es and just need to grow a pair and deal with it lol
I feel the same way, especially when I drive in the wrong lane, I'm all like you people just need to deal with it.

/s

you sir are a douche nozzle
Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Be sure that your headlights are aimed properly number one.

Also, what wattage are you running? I have the 35w 5000K HID's and have never been flashed. I also have the bulb caps built into my housing, but some people's headlights are missing those, that's why Todd at Retro-Solutions offers a bulb capping service. Perhaps this is your issue too?

Don
Just order my 5000K 55W from Retro, Todd told me capping is an absolute must when going with HID. Where did you get your kit from?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey guys,

I installed an HID conversion kit into my mustang about 6 months ago. They are working great, and I love how much it lights up the road. I will never go back!!

However, I get flashed a lot from on-coming cars. Is this a common occurrence or is there something I should have done to keep from blinding other drivers?

Thanks for your help.
I will say, it is f'ing blinding when they're not a decent set, and they're not aimed right. Wish that would be a requirement for DMV inspection here. As stated by someone already, usually other than the super-douches in their acura's normally, it's from the pick-ups.

That said, the GT/CS I have had the factory HID's done, they're 5400's. I still do get flashed from time to time. So if you know you did it right it just could be a they need to deal factor.

I don't mind brighter on-coming lights if it's done the way it was intended. Just because everyone's currently used to seeing by a candle doesn't mean the 40 watt bulb is evil.
Unfortunately, a good percentage of the implementation is done by a teenager that could give a shi* if anyone else can see dic*, so long as they can, and it looks cool. And of course it was cheap to buy. Asking here just proves that you actually care, so your already leaps and bounds beyond the average.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-04-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wil
Just order my 5000K 55W from Retro, Todd told me capping is an absolute must when going with HID. Where did you get your kit from?
If you are asking me, I got mine from Retro-Solutions too... However, this was my second set... my first was from VVME and they were cheap (the only plus) but had uneven color output and had 1 bulb go out after 3 weeks or so... Not happy and even though they were cheap, they were a waste of money. I'm so glad I finally discovered Todd and Retro-Solutions. Best IMO...

Don
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
SweetSandMan
1st Gear Member

Saw an 05-09 the other day driving towards me at night...he had a Roush style front bumper with the integrated fogs...in addition to the grill fogs and headlights...all of which were 8K+ HIDS...F$&* that guy...Seriously...retrofit projectors FTW But I'm biased

Quick Reply: HID Headlights question