MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   HID Headlights question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/628119-hid-headlights-question.html)

LordRipberger 01-04-2011 10:16 AM

HID Headlights question

Hey guys,

I installed an HID conversion kit into my mustang about 6 months ago. They are working great, and I love how much it lights up the road. I will never go back!!

However, I get flashed a lot from on-coming cars. Is this a common occurrence or is there something I should have done to keep from blinding other drivers?

Thanks for your help.

Stang-aholic 01-04-2011 10:39 AM

most likely its just the intensity of your head lights. the ones at night that people dont like are the 8000k or higher bulbs, sometimes they can be blinding, if they are lower than that, the prople who flash you are jack#$%es and just need to grow a pair and deal with it lol

2007bluestang 01-04-2011 10:47 AM

i hate those dang slightly lifted truks with like 10k HIDs they blind you

BigDinTexas 01-04-2011 10:48 AM

Be sure that your headlights are aimed properly number one.

Also, what wattage are you running? I have the 35w 5000K HID's and have never been flashed. I also have the bulb caps built into my housing, but some people's headlights are missing those, that's why Todd at Retro-Solutions offers a bulb capping service. Perhaps this is your issue too?

Don

Nuke 01-04-2011 10:50 AM

Either bulb caps or the coating (i can't recall it's technical term) are provided to prevent glare to on-coming drivers. I've heard that cheaper kits don't have either.

LostBoyz 01-04-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic (Post 7358717)
...the prople who flash you are jack#$%es and just need to grow a pair and deal with it lol

I feel the same way, especially when I drive in the wrong lane, I'm all like you people just need to deal with it.

/s

you sir are a douche nozzle

Wil 01-04-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas (Post 7358736)
Be sure that your headlights are aimed properly number one.

Also, what wattage are you running? I have the 35w 5000K HID's and have never been flashed. I also have the bulb caps built into my housing, but some people's headlights are missing those, that's why Todd at Retro-Solutions offers a bulb capping service. Perhaps this is your issue too?

Don

Just order my 5000K 55W from Retro, Todd told me capping is an absolute must when going with HID. Where did you get your kit from?

wayne613 01-04-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by LordRipberger (Post 7358668)
Hey guys,

I installed an HID conversion kit into my mustang about 6 months ago. They are working great, and I love how much it lights up the road. I will never go back!!

However, I get flashed a lot from on-coming cars. Is this a common occurrence or is there something I should have done to keep from blinding other drivers?

Thanks for your help.

I will say, it is f'ing blinding when they're not a decent set, and they're not aimed right. Wish that would be a requirement for DMV inspection here. As stated by someone already, usually other than the super-douches in their acura's normally, it's from the pick-ups.

That said, the GT/CS I have had the factory HID's done, they're 5400's. I still do get flashed from time to time. So if you know you did it right it just could be a they need to deal factor.

I don't mind brighter on-coming lights if it's done the way it was intended. Just because everyone's currently used to seeing by a candle doesn't mean the 40 watt bulb is evil.
Unfortunately, a good percentage of the implementation is done by a teenager that could give a shi* if anyone else can see dic*, so long as they can, and it looks cool. And of course it was cheap to buy. Asking here just proves that you actually care, so your already leaps and bounds beyond the average. ;)

BigDinTexas 01-04-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wil (Post 7358835)
Just order my 5000K 55W from Retro, Todd told me capping is an absolute must when going with HID. Where did you get your kit from?

If you are asking me, I got mine from Retro-Solutions too... However, this was my second set... my first was from VVME and they were cheap (the only plus) but had uneven color output and had 1 bulb go out after 3 weeks or so... Not happy and even though they were cheap, they were a waste of money. I'm so glad I finally discovered Todd and Retro-Solutions. Best IMO...

Don

SweetSandMan 01-04-2011 12:49 PM

Saw an 05-09 the other day driving towards me at night...he had a Roush style front bumper with the integrated fogs...in addition to the grill fogs and headlights...all of which were 8K+ HIDS...F$&* that guy...Seriously...retrofit projectors FTW :) But I'm biased