Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Buyer. Couple of Tech Questions. Parts, White Color Suggestion, and battery q.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
crewxp

Default New Buyer. Couple of Tech Questions. Parts, White Color Suggestion, and battery q.

Hey, I'm about to buy my first mustang from a non-dealer. I'm debating between a wholesale used car lot or a private individual. But I had a couple of questions hopefully some of you could help me out with.

But I found a non GT car locally at the wholesale lot, but I noticed a couple of things with it.

Don't laugh....

WHITE MUSTANG - Wholesale Dealer
1.) The car wouldn't start when I first tried to start it up for a test drive. He had to jump it. Does that mean I should request or buy a new battery for it? First time that ever happened for me. It's a 2010 model.
2.) It's a plain white car. Nothing to it, and gets dirty easily. I know I'll have to decide in the end, but In 'your' preference, is white an alright color? I've only seen chicks drive that type, so was curious as to you thought that was just a coincidence. I was planning on adding maybe a stripe on the car to make it look a little better.
3.) On the previous question, do you know where I can get good quality, cool looking, hot, stripes for my car (that still kind of casual)?(For the Hood, top, trunk, and back).
4.) I noticed that the MyColor (dash lights, Mustang logo, and cup holder lights) were really dim in brightness. Is there a place I can get a replacement part for it (maybe its dirty?) or increase the brightness?
5.) Do you know if adding an after-market receiver disables the SYNC capabilities? I couldn't seem to add my phone to the car when I drove it. I couldn't control it via the steering wheel, but could control it with the receiver itself.

Blue Mustang-Private Buyer.
1.) Nothing to ask here. Since its out of state, I cant actually test drive it. Just relying on luck hopefully if I decide this route. I like the GT and color combination though.

Auto Questions: I plan on modding it up (later on) when I save up enough cash. So none right now. I'm just focusing on the cosmetics and electronics now. Taking my time because it's not really practical for a college student (part of the reason I dont mind the v6 instead of the v8).

Thanks guys!!

PS: I made a quick 10 minute pdf brochure (lol) comparing the two cars. Feel free to look.
http://www.crewxp.com/mustang_compare_public.pdf
Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

1. Car has sat around too long on the lot and the battery died. It happens if the dealer can't move a car fast enough. You can ask for a new battery, depending on your negotiation tactics.

2. Nothing wrong with white and it's not a "chic" color. It's your car and you're driving it. YOUR decision if you like the color. V6 mustangs are a dime a dozen. If you don't like the color, keep looking.

3. www.americanmuscle.com, www.rockymountaingraphics.com are a couple sites that sell stripes.

4. Not sure if the ambient lighting can be adjusted but the console brightness/dimness can be by the dial next to the headlight switch.

5. Don't know about that one since I don't have SYNC.

IMO, I would spend the money on a CAI/Tune combo > electronics. The auto stock tune is mild and the throttle response is slow.

After looking at your PDF, you're comparing the V6 with the V8. It all depends on what you want and what you can afford. I would first decide if you want a 6 or 8 and then start looking for an actual car. I would also question why there were so many previous owners on a 2010 car, for both. The V6 was a fleet car, meaning that it could of easily been abused because it was used within a company or as a rental.

Last edited by alkemist; 01-04-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Spartan117

Hi. I was just curious as to what exactly a CAI/Tune combo was. I saw on his pdf that the GT came with a Cold air intake and Flash Tuner.

Then I saw you mentioned CAI/Tune Combo.

I just got my first full time job, and I've only recently become attached to muscle cars.

Can you explain what those two things do?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Short article about understanding cold air intakes:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/unders...r-intakes.html

Info about custom tuning:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3...ash-tuner.html
http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...-packages.html

Keep in mind that these links may go to specific year range.
There are also stickies that go over the topic. Brenspeed and AM/Bama are two of the most popular places to get a custom tune vs. going to a local speed shop with a dyno.

Last edited by alkemist; 01-04-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crewxp
Hey, I'm about to buy my first mustang from a non-dealer. I'm debating between a wholesale used car lot or a private individual. But I had a couple of questions hopefully some of you could help me out with.

But I found a non GT car locally at the wholesale lot, but I noticed a couple of things with it.

Don't laugh....

WHITE MUSTANG - Wholesale Dealer
1.) The car wouldn't start when I first tried to start it up for a test drive. He had to jump it. Does that mean I should request or buy a new battery for it? First time that ever happened for me. It's a 2010 model.
2.) It's a plain white car. Nothing to it, and gets dirty easily. I know I'll have to decide in the end, but In 'your' preference, is white an alright color? I've only seen chicks drive that type, so was curious as to you thought that was just a coincidence. I was planning on adding maybe a stripe on the car to make it look a little better.
3.) On the previous question, do you know where I can get good quality, cool looking, hot, stripes for my car (that still kind of casual)?(For the Hood, top, trunk, and back).
4.) I noticed that the MyColor (dash lights, Mustang logo, and cup holder lights) were really dim in brightness. Is there a place I can get a replacement part for it (maybe its dirty?) or increase the brightness?
5.) Do you know if adding an after-market receiver disables the SYNC capabilities? I couldn't seem to add my phone to the car when I drove it. I couldn't control it via the steering wheel, but could control it with the receiver itself.

Blue Mustang-Private Buyer.
1.) Nothing to ask here. Since its out of state, I cant actually test drive it. Just relying on luck hopefully if I decide this route. I like the GT and color combination though.

Auto Questions: I plan on modding it up (later on) when I save up enough cash. So none right now. I'm just focusing on the cosmetics and electronics now. Taking my time because it's not really practical for a college student (part of the reason I dont mind the v6 instead of the v8).

Thanks guys!!

PS: I made a quick 10 minute pdf brochure (lol) comparing the two cars. Feel free to look.
http://www.crewxp.com/mustang_compare_public.pdf
My 06 did not start when I went to buy it. The week before it was fine, but when I went to buy it, no va. So the dealer gave me a new one (or so I was told... It looks new....).
I have a white car. Let me tell you, I love white on a mustang. There is a reason the gt350s were only offered in white....
The kind of stripes I prefer are either 2 stripes down the middle with pinstripes outlining or one thick stripe down the middle with a pinstripe on either side. I can provide pics if that was not coherent, lol.
Don't know about increasing brightness but just how did were they? And did you test at night?