Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas fill-up question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grey2011GT
I had a different issue on gas fill up ...NO CAP ??

SO I call the dealer like a dummy , and complain theres a piece of green duct tape over the filler.. He said remove the tape and read " No cap system"

SO if no cap needed why the duc tape over the filler ? Said in case rain gets in....

But I was assured no rain would get in , or water from a car wash.

Also the manual talks about this special anti tamper gas neck ...Also mentions a special filler funnel specifically for the car and its not in the car , dealer never heard or seen one in an 11 Stang?

Also another surprise was NO JACK .. They said "use your roadside assistance" hmmm

Road help is great when you have time to kill , but what ever happened to get out change the tire .

Also dealer said there is no room in the trunk for either a spare or a jack .

Go figure . I see a trunk big enough for my amp guitars , duffels , tools bag , bottle jack ,ect ect

These necessary items that are missing should be standard. A doughnut spare OK ...

But a pump and bottle of goo - to get you thru your trip at 400AM in no mans land ?

Myself am going to carry a full size spare and tire , change it when the time comes and then drive like my spare is a "pump w/h bottle of goo"

comments pls.
Weird, I have a 2010 and it came with a spare, scissor jack. The "filler neck" for putting fuel in from a can is the white plastic thing attached to the lug nut wrench under the carpet in the trunk.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grey2011GT
I had a different issue on gas fill up ...NO CAP ??

SO I call the dealer like a dummy , and complain theres a piece of green duct tape over the filler.. He said remove the tape and read " No cap system"

SO if no cap needed why the duc tape over the filler ? Said in case rain gets in....

But I was assured no rain would get in , or water from a car wash.

Also the manual talks about this special anti tamper gas neck ...Also mentions a special filler funnel specifically for the car and its not in the car , dealer never heard or seen one in an 11 Stang?

Also another surprise was NO JACK .. They said "use your roadside assistance" hmmm

Road help is great when you have time to kill , but what ever happened to get out change the tire .

Also dealer said there is no room in the trunk for either a spare or a jack .

Go figure . I see a trunk big enough for my amp guitars , duffels , tools bag , bottle jack ,ect ect

These necessary items that are missing should be standard. A doughnut spare OK ...

But a pump and bottle of goo - to get you thru your trip at 400AM in no mans land ?

Myself am going to carry a full size spare and tire , change it when the time comes and then drive like my spare is a "pump w/h bottle of goo"

comments pls.
My 2011 GT/CS (Jun build) with 19" wheels stock came with a spare, jack, and fuel filler funnel. Sounds like a dealer may be pulling your leg, or stupid (is that possible).....you should have the fuel filler funnel for sure. That is needed if you run out of gas with the cap less system. I would never carry a full size spare based on its size vs the factory spare.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
If you keep driving your mustang on empty after your low gasoline light comes on
you are building up condensation in your gasoline tank which is indeed water droplets.
Also doing this you can burnout and ruin your fuel pump and suck the deposits from the
bottom of your gasoline tank into your filter fuel clogging it up.
I drive my mustang right before the gasoline tank go's to empty and then I fill up with
Chevron or Texaco gasoline.I would change my fuel filter every two years or 20K miles
whatever comes first that's what I do.
Well, guess i didn't know anything about the fuel filter. Question: Where can I pick up one of those fuel line disconnect tool? Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
sonicx
speed'n

If you keep driving your mustang on empty after your low gasoline light comes on
you are building up condensation in your gasoline tank which is indeed water droplets.
Also doing this you can burnout and ruin your fuel pump and suck the deposits from the
bottom of your gasoline tank into your filter fuel clogging it up.
I drive my mustang right before the gasoline tank go's to empty and then I fill up with
Chevron or Texaco gasoline.I would change my fuel filter every two years or 20K miles
whatever comes first that's what I do.
oh dang... i've done this quite fequently w/o even thinking about it (not as of late, but a few times during summer for sure). Maybe soon here i should change the fuel filter.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
sonicx
speed'n

I purchased my fuel line disconnect tool from my local Ford dealership parts
department and I purchased my Ford Motorcraft fuel filter from my local
Ford delaership parts department also.
Definitley change your fuel filter asap if you haven't replaced it because a
clogged fuel filter will rob you of performance and fuel MPG.
Make sure you use a Ford Motorcraft fuel filter also they are the best
design for our Ford Mustangs.Using quality "top tier" name brand gasoline
from gasoline stations like Chevron or Texaco is always a great idea too.
I for one will get on that lol. And yea for sure about gasoline brand (aware of this).
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You don't need the tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter; just your fingers or maybe pliers.

Letting your tank go to or near empty = asking for trouble. If my kids ran the tank down below 1/4 they'd lose their keys.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Nuke
You don't need the tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter; just your fingers or maybe pliers.
Letting your tank go to or near empty = asking for trouble. If my kids ran the tank down below 1/4 they'd lose their keys.
O really? Its the easy todo w/o the tool on a new edge GT?
Guess I've been pressing my luck.... living on the edge. Don't really have too many car ppl in my life to take the Do's / Don'ts. Although I was aware you shouldn't run your tank down that low... laziness . Shouldn't be an excuss.

Last edited by sonicx; 01-07-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I did mine easily w/o the tool. The biggest PITA was removing the plastic shroud.

Part of my personal opinion on not letting the tank get too low has to do with son #2 calling at 3 am one night, out of gas about 4 miles from home. He walked in the rain. Lesson learned. But in addition to the parenting lesson on the pitfalls of getting that low, there's the issue regarding condensation in the tank (and don't be fooled; it can happen in the south too), sucking trash off the bottom, lack of fuel pump cooling, yada yada.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

Im with the crowd that never grew up -- i will opt to carry the special funnel ,if its so special...

As far as the comment of AZPETE of the GT/CS having spare ,jack wrench and funnel.??

Maybe springing another $$$ for the CS gets you the cheap jack and spare?

Other GT 2011 Owners in CA ,did your 2011 GT have a spare ,jack ,wrench funnel?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

if the car is a brembo brake pack it gets no spare or jack, just the goo and pump. its part of the "track pack" weight reduction an dmore becasue i woudl assuem a donut spare wont clear the brembos.

IMHO it's not that big of a deal for most of us to not have a spare. In my entire 37 years i have had 4 flats, all were in the same month on the wife's car when roofers in my neighborhood weren't securing their trash loads. pissed was an understatement. Other than that I watch what is on the road and avoid running over stuff 99% of the time and have never had a flat on my own.

Quick Reply: Gas fill-up question?