Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Matching / Double Clutching

Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

How do you rev match? I was riding around with a girl who said you could do that and totally never have to step on the clutch. I did not want to do it because the last thing I want is shards of brass form the ground syncro teeth spewing all over the inside of my tranny.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
How do you rev match? I was riding around with a girl who said you could do that and totally never have to step on the clutch. I did not want to do it because the last thing I want is shards of brass form the ground syncro teeth spewing all over the inside of my tranny.
Look up "heel and toe" on YouTube. There should be some good videos there. The idea is to control the gas and brake with your right foot so your left is free to push the clutch. When entering a turn you use the left side of your right foot to press the brake. Next push in the clutch with your left foot. Finally use the right side of your right foot to blip the throttle while you move the shifter down a gear and begin letting your left foot off the clutch. It takes practice to get good at it.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I should have been more clear what I was asking; what the girl said is you can shift without the clutch. Heel-Toe requires the clutch.

How do you shift without stepping on the clutch? She said you rev-match.
Of course, double-clutch is stepping on the clutch, twice at that, LOL
Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Some trannies at high Tom's allow you to just slam the gear without the clutch. Perhaps that was what she was speaking about.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

High rpms * not high Tom's lol . Damn predictive keyboard.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Sounds pretty hard to do, I just thought about it some, and the engine does remain revved up some (it does not instantly drop to idle RPMs), so if you shift into the next higher gear, all you will have to know is the tranny's RPMs and watch your tach RPMs to match the tranny revs such that the syncro allows you to slip past without grinding.

But the problem here is you would need a tach for the tranny too! Otherwise, you would just about be guessing in the dark on when you think the tach RPM is the same as the tranny revs.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 AM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

i rev match on a daily basis but never double clutch (dont see the point)
bout the clutchless shifting, it can be done when the tranny rpm matches engine rpm, like stated above, however its quite hard to do as your kinda guessing at what the tranny rpm is, its also easier to do at lower rpms than higher, and most people wouldnt want to try it at higher rpms as it would kill your clutch pretty easily if messed up.

1:15 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4&feature=fvw
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Sounds pretty hard to do, I just thought about it some, and the engine does remain revved up some (it does not instantly drop to idle RPMs), so if you shift into the next higher gear, all you will have to know is the tranny's RPMs and watch your tach RPMs to match the tranny revs such that the syncro allows you to slip past without grinding.

But the problem here is you would need a tach for the tranny too! Otherwise, you would just about be guessing in the dark on when you think the tach RPM is the same as the tranny revs.
Refer to the following

First link is an example of double clutch and heel to toe maneuver . This dude is bad *** !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-3x...13416&index=29

Second link is shifting with no clutch-Omit the **** on his face-The boy is a retard but demonstrates how no clutch is utilized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJXs...eature=related
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

ROFL! IS he trying to be some sort of clown? Or if he wants to hide his face from being recognized, why doesn't he wear a damn ski mask? Maybe a hockey mask and go Jason-style?

Also, notice that below his face, at the beginning of the vid, there is an ad and link for a tranny repair shop!

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN

Second link is shifting with no clutch-Omit the **** on his face-The boy is a retard but demonstrates how no clutch is utilized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJXs...eature=related
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i hear ya Jim, maybe its Halloween or something. Who knows, lots of weirdos and nuts around these days. I wish i can drive like the guy on the first video though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev Matching / Double Clutching