Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Matching / Double Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 AM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

You can double clutch if you want in order to sync the input shaft, but as many have said, it doesn't really buy you much for the effort.

Clutchless shifting is when you apply force on the syncro, it prevents you from going in gear until everything is in sync. Basically, you are on the throttle, just as you let off the throttle, the entire transmission has no tension for a moment. At this moment, you can pull it out of gear. If you try to pull it out of gear while the tranny has tension on it, you need the clutch. Once it is in neutral, rev match without the clutch. Once the RPM is where it should be for your speed and change in velocity, apply enough pressure against the gear that it will go in if you have synced it right. If your timing is right, it should not take much force, but if you are off, the syncro will try to lock you out. What you can do is rev slightly above the matched RPM, then apply a bit of force on the lever so that it will fall in just as the RPM hits the right spot. The problem with doing this is that it is very slow - like granny shifting. Secondly, it puts an unusual strain on your syncronizers and can definitely damage them. Back in high school I learned this from one of my friends. When I had a manual geo prism, I learned how to do this really well. It actually came in handy when delivering pizzas with a bad clutch that wasn't slipping at all but you had to pump it alot to engage it.

Last edited by lundefinedl; 01-09-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Rev matching on downshifts is good for avoiding the huck-a-buck or that jerky jolt when you release the clutch pedal after going to a lower gear.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

My 2c worth is that double-clutch rev-matching on downshifts, while not necessary is an enjoyable lost art. Quite satisfying once mastered and it makes perfect sense to me to seamlessly match the revs and smoothly accomplish a downshift. I can go from 5th to 4th (or even 3rd) at 70mph with a double-clutch downshift and if I have the music up loud my passenger never even knows I did it unless they see my hand on the shifter.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

It's probably not his car he's using lol.

Refering to the vid on page 2 of the guy shifting without using the clutch....the one with the white **** on his face.

Last edited by White05GT; 01-10-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Since synchronizers on modern vehicles are pretty damn good, is there any point to double clutching besides learning how the concept works? I already understand how double clutching reduces the load on the synchronizers and I fully understand how the system works. Besides, I utilize the concept from time to time. But are there any marginal gains of any type if this method is used on a daily basis on regular roads? I wonder if I should utilize this system on a regular basis or down shift the regular old fashioned way. I am looking to get your input as to how you regularly downshift and why? Remember I am only referring to regular road and highway driving and not track driving. Thanks
I double clutch most of the time when downshifting in advance of a turn that I'm not coming to a near full stop for. 4th to 3rd entering an Interstate exit ramp kind of stuff, even. The point is to put the transmission in the gear that you will be using for acceleration on corner exit. I do this in any of the cars in my sig, and would in any other manual tranny car that I might be driving.

Only on very low speed downshifts do I get a bit lazy and just kick the gas as I pass the shift lever through the neutral gate.

Even with good, durable synchros, the rotational inertia of the countershaft, input shaft, and clutch disc will require more from the synchros to rev them up if you don't. It's a small thing, but you might as well take the reduced synchro wear benefit that this offers as opposed to throwing it away.

This is NOT related to downshifting in order to slow down as you are approaching a known stop rather than use the brakes, even though the technique that you'd use would be the same.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-10-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
How do you rev match? I was riding around with a girl who said you could do that and totally never have to step on the clutch. I did not want to do it because the last thing I want is shards of brass form the ground syncro teeth spewing all over the inside of my tranny.
More or less, she's right, with the probable exception of starting up from a dead stop. If you're really good, you don't even need the synchros to be any good as long as the tranny will at least stay in gear without kicking out on added or dropped throttle.

Rev matching is putting the engine revs where they need to be in the gear that you are shifting into for the road speed that you're at. Rev-matching actually occurs on most normal upshifts - pretty much automatically when you lift-throttle between gears. But you've got to kick the gas on downshifts since the lower gear requires higher revs than what your current gear has you at. Double clutching makes sure that the clutch disc and the tranny internals that are ahead of the synchro are also rev-matched.

Not using the clutch REQUIRES rev-matching and is a somewhat advanced skill that can come in extremely handy if your clutch linkage becomes inop for any reason. For those who can't double-clutch smoothly and reliably, it's best to forget that this technique even exists.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Thanks for the input, I always saw no point in doing this maneuverer besides pretending like I am a race car driver. Since that aint gonna happen any time in this life time or next, I am going to ride it and shift it the way its meant to be. LOL
Double clutching and rev matching will take most or all out of the forward lurch that you can get on downshifts where the revs are up a bit in the higher gear. Why would you not want to learn how to do this? Don't think that your passengers wouldn't notice not having their heads tossed forward. Even if they don't now, they would if they ever get a ride in a MT car driven by somebody who does know how to do these things.

It only takes a little practice, and it's easier to do in some cars than others.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-10-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

no clutch....not for me... rev match or heal toe is the way to go, though with heal toe u need pedals that are even and a long accelerator pedal...
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Double clutching and rev matching will take most or all out of the forward lurch that you can get on downshifts where the revs are up a bit in the higher gear. Why would you not want to learn how to do this? Don't think that your passengers wouldn't notice not having their heads tossed forward. Even if they don't now, they would if they ever get a ride in a MT car driven by somebody who does know how to do these things.

It only takes a little practice, and it's easier to do in some cars than others.

Norm

I actually know how to do both maneuvers fairly well and do them from time to time, but never seen the need to this since the standard transmission on 05-09 is very good. Its not like i just learned how to drive standard transmission and im certainly not jerky and all over the place. Besides, the majority of the time im in the car alone and im **** about keeping my car clean and i hate people getting my car dirty. Now if you have a solution with this obsessive compulsive behavior, the mike is all yours my friend.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

If you want to know how to do it for real . . . ask this guy:

Quick Reply: Rev Matching / Double Clutching