Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Matching / Double Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I actually know how to do both maneuvers fairly well and do them from time to time, but never seen the need to this since the standard transmission on 05-09 is very good. Its not like i just learned how to drive standard transmission and im certainly not jerky and all over the place.

As good as the tranny may be, and as good at shifting it as you may be, my point is that there are a number of situations where you really do want to be in the lower gear before you absolutely have to be in it. It's OK (maybe even preferable in some situations) to drive with some anticipation in advance of when you will be able to accelerate, as opposed to holding the downshifting off until you finally can get on with the acceleration and discover that the gear you're in isn't enough. Late, reactionary downshifting (as in "Hey! Oh wow! I can accelerate now! Here we go! . . . Oops, damn, shoulda downshifted . . . Hurry it up, self.") is close to automatic transmission mentality but with more work.

Going back to that exit ramp situation, it probably isn't doing the powertrain any favors to force it to chugg along at 35 mph in 5th gear all the way around 3/4 of an uphill circle - even if you can personally stand the shuddering and poor to nonexistent throttle response. Never mind that you're setting yourself up to be busier than necessary at the end of the ramp where you need to be accelerating in order to properly merge with traffic. To me, it only makes sense to get the downshifting that you know you're going to need to do anyway . . . over and done with when you aren't physically or mentally very busy.

Perhaps situations such as that, or being able to anticipate a red traffic light turning green as you coast down through the same 35 mph or so, or making a 90° turn from a 50 mph road onto a neighborhood street do not occur very frequently around where you live. In that case, I can understand that you might not have much call to use these techniques.

Besides, the majority of the time im in the car alone and im **** about keeping my car clean and i hate people getting my car dirty. Now if you have a solution with this obsessive compulsive behavior, the mike is all yours my friend.

If you're as conscientious about keeping other peoples' cars clean when you get into them as you expect them to be when they get into yours, the burden of doing the right thing is on the others and there is nothing for you to fix. The best you can really do here is to set a 100% consistent example of desirable behavior.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-11-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I will say that the '11 has such engine computer control that is will handle some pretty low speeds with no lugging as prior cars did. I was surprised when I made a 90*, 2 lane street corner, in traffic in 4th gear....about 15mph and no problems.... I don't do it all the time but it does well....
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

As good as the tranny may be, and as good at shifting it as you may be, my point is that there are a number of situations where you really do want to be in the lower gear before you absolutely have to be in it. It's OK (maybe even preferable in some situations) to drive with some anticipation in advance of when you will be able to accelerate, as opposed to holding the downshifting off until you finally can get on with the acceleration and discover that the gear you're in isn't enough. Late, reactionary downshifting (as in "Hey! Oh wow! I can accelerate now! Here we go! . . . Oops, damn, shoulda downshifted . . . Hurry it up, self.") is close to automatic transmission mentality but with more work.

Going back to that exit ramp situation, it probably isn't doing the powertrain any favors to force it to chugg along at 35 mph in 5th gear all the way around 3/4 of an uphill circle - even if you can personally stand the shuddering and poor to nonexistent throttle response. Never mind that you're setting yourself up to be busier than necessary at the end of the ramp where you need to be accelerating in order to properly merge with traffic. To me, it only makes sense to get the downshifting that you know you're going to need to do anyway . . . over and done with when you aren't physically or mentally very busy.

Perhaps situations such as that, or being able to anticipate a red traffic light turning green as you coast down through the same 35 mph or so, or making a 90° turn from a 50 mph road onto a neighborhood street do not occur very frequently around where you live. In that case, I can understand that you might not have much call to use these techniques.

If you're as conscientious about keeping other peoples' cars clean when you get into them as you expect them to be when they get into yours, the burden of doing the right thing is on the others and there is nothing for you to fix. The best you can really do here is to set a 100% consistent example of desirable behavior.

Norm

I like what you said in the above paragraph. It makes sense to prepare prior to negotiating a turn or ramp and look ahead and anticipate traffic. Perhaps I should do this more often. I just find that in a busy city like Toronto where it’s bumper to bumper traffic all the damn time, its gets problematic to double clutch not to mention shift a million times. You’re preaching to the choir my brother, I couldn’t agree with your point any more, but traffic here like any metropolitan city is ridiculous and snail speed. The issue here is that the setting where I reside is not conducive of fun and performance driving. The exception is maybe on Sunday morning when the only people up are senior citizens attending church to get on gods good side, no offence to religious folks but god doesn’t have much interest in me. I wish lived near winding roads or near Riverside International Raceway where I can open her up drive and like a mad man, but I have to set a good example like you said for plethora of reasons.

As far as people getting into my car and getting it dirty, I will keep cleaning my car and I will feed my obsessive behaviour because I cannot seem to get rid of this obsession LoL. This is one the brain washing things the Army has planted into my head long ago. Besides, I find that cleaning my car is a very relaxing activity along with going to the gym. I appreciate your advice though. I am looking forward for your input my friend. Take care
Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Try living in the North East this time of year and not double clutching from 1st to 2nd when it's super cold out. It's certainly saved my frozen butt a few times. There's nothing worse than *almost* coming to a complete stop, then the light turns green, but when you reach for 1st or 2nd....tranny says no! A quick double clutching to get that input shaft moving and you are on your way.

All other times, I'm a rev-matching guy, but never really got the daily double-clutching down. Oh well.