Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Detroit Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Hey bud, got a question for ya because im thinking of installing one myself cause the noise sounds like a Harley. Did you have to change any other engine components when installing the cam shaft ? What brand cam shaft did you install ? And if anyone can answer this question , how much gains can a camshaft get given a race tune ? Thanks
The cams he installed are the Brenspeed Detroit Rockers cams available at www.brenspeed.com. If it's a No springs required cams ( nsr ) like the rockers, then no you don't need any other engine component aside from couple $12 bolts. You WILL def need a new tune though with a cammed engine.

Trust that answers a couple questions for ya!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Hey bud, got a question for ya because im thinking of installing one myself cause the noise sounds like a Harley. Did you have to change any other engine components when installing the cam shaft ? What brand cam shaft did you install ? And if anyone can answer this question , how much gains can a camshaft get given a race tune ? Thanks
Other engine components: well they say you should have a higher gear ratio than stock 3.55. I have 4.10s. But that's more an issue of not bogging down low with the cams. You could still do the swap without that.

Otherwise, I have the cold air intake and tune. You may not even need a CAI, though. But you definitely need a tune.

My cams are Detroit Rockers by Brenspeed but there are lots of different options out there. With stock exhaust, these should gain about 20rwhp with 93 race tune. More (maybe double) with better exhaust.

I agree about the harley part. I'm a harley guy myself. You might even catch a quick glimpse of mine in the background of my video. Not only does it sound like one, when I sat inside and let the car idle it reminded me of the bike too. You can actual feel a difference just standing still.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Good point Franchi...you do need the new phaser bolts and they do not come with the cams. Must buy seperately.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by riskyfool
Other engine components: well they say you should have a higher gear ratio than stock 3.55. I have 4.10s. But that's more an issue of not bogging down low with the cams. You could still do the swap without that.

Otherwise, I have the cold air intake and tune. You may not even need a CAI, though. But you definitely need a tune.

My cams are Detroit Rockers by Brenspeed but there are lots of different options out there. With stock exhaust, these should gain about 20rwhp with 93 race tune. More (maybe double) with better exhaust.

I agree about the harley part. I'm a harley guy myself. You might even catch a quick glimpse of mine in the background of my video. Not only does it sound like one, when I sat inside and let the car idle it reminded me of the bike too. You can actual feel a difference just standing still.
Thanks men, I use to have 4.10 on my old Stang but now I have 3.55 on my new one. I got basic mods such as CAI, Borla axle back, Tune AM 93. Im just careful on the spending now cause I sometimes loose track and want to buy the whole shop lol. Men the sound is just down right crazy. I ride a Harley all the time too and its hard to replicate the rumbling sound. My rig is the same color as yours which is why I like your fiber glass hood. Good work on your project.