Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Matching / Double Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool Rev Matching / Double Clutching

Since synchronizers on modern vehicles are pretty damn good, is there any point to double clutching besides learning how the concept works? I already understand how double clutching reduces the load on the synchronizers and I fully understand how the system works. Besides, I utilize the concept from time to time. But are there any marginal gains of any type if this method is used on a daily basis on regular roads? I wonder if I should utilize this system on a regular basis or down shift the regular old fashioned way. I am looking to get your input as to how you regularly downshift and why? Remember I am only referring to regular road and highway driving and not track driving. Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Double-clutching, no. I was told overall it was better to down-shift so I always have, but not for that. Really just to stop faster with less wear on the brakes as my first real car was a 15yr old hand-me-down ´78 voltswagon rabbit diesel. Just dead stop 1st, or putt in 2nd for a bit.

The other idea was that keeping the engine with a load, is better overall. I might call bunk on that, as it´s then got a load, but might not be pumping as much lubrication. *shrug* Really, hell if I know, I just Nike it, and just do it. Always have, probably always will since I´ve done it this way for so long.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-08-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I see no point in double clutching on a daily basis. If you need to reach a much lower gear quickly, it may help. I grew up when first gears had no synchros and was taught that you double clutch to get first gear before you were dead stopped or if the syncros were out of a gear, then it would help too.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:29 AM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

I do it when down shifting, you don't have to double clutch synchronized transmission. If you have a trans with worn synchros double clutching helps to shift without grinding sometimes.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input, I always saw no point in doing this maneuverer besides pretending like I am a race car driver. Since that aint gonna happen any time in this life time or next, I am going to ride it and shift it the way its meant to be. LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

No need.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Double-clutching (clutch in-and out twice per downshift) is almost unheard of today. Even on the race track there are very few cars that require it. Almost all professional level cars use a sequential tranny. The only cars I'm aware of that you have to double-clutch are some of the older open-wheel formula cars. At the amateur level, production based racing cars mostly use a tranny just like you and I and they don't double clutch (unless dropping two gears in one shift). Now doing a rev-matching heel-toe downshift...well thats a different story. Its an essential skill on the race track and one that you can practice and have fun with on the street.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Double-clutching, no. I was told overall it was better to down-shift so I always have, but not for that. Really just to stop faster with less wear on the brakes.
Brakes are always cheaper than a clutch.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95PreludeSi
Brakes are always cheaper than a clutch.
Car once it finally wasn´t worth fixing had 250+k miles on it, same clutch which still worked great. *shrug*
Old 01-08-2011, 06:37 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

I rev-match with out issue so far

Quick Reply: Rev Matching / Double Clutching