Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT versus Atlanta Snow and Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Nuke,

I hear you brother, but ya gotta remember who you're talking to. Mustang owners tend to be brash, "damn, my car can do anything" type of car owners. It's what makes us performance car enthusiasts in the first place.

Living in the northeast all my life, I had some incredable adventures with all kinds of performance cars in deep snow. Hell, most of the time it was just for the fun of it!

As we age, we get a bit more mellow and tend to realise that physics wins most of the time.

So I say to the youngins out there: Have fun in the snow, but just remember...Nuke is waiting to say I told you so!

;-)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
...remember...Nuke is waiting to say I told you so!

;-)
It's a double edged sword. I tell my sons my opinion but I let them go down those (sometimes obviously moronic) paths. But I never have to tell them "I told you so". The look on their faces that dad was giving them good advice was all I needed. But since I can't see you guyz, I'll HAVE to say it...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I've driven every kind of car you can imagine in almost every weather condition, the mustang does just fine if you know its limitations and how it performs. Anything under 6" of snow, or less depending how low your car sits, it will do just fine. I drove mine recently when we had ice then a couple inches of snow on top of that, it wasn't fun but I made it everywhere I needed to be.

Is a mustang the ideal snow car? Obviously not. Add more power, lower it, and add performance tires then yes I would say its better off staying in the garage. Stock, with ESP, all seasons, and some driving ability and nothing but an out and out blizzard should stop you.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i cant even back outta my driveway with an inch of snow lol
Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
i cant even back outta my driveway with an inch of snow lol
That's the tough part...getting started from a stop, especially if there is a hill involved.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Hell, I almost went sideways when I got caught out in a rainstorm and I wasn't even getting on it! Then again, drag radials aren't very good for rain either.

Stang stays sleeping in the garage Dec to April'ish. Not about to take a chance and wreck 10k in mods plus value of car itself.

When the bad snow / ice hits, I don't want to be driving anything other then my 93 F-150 4x4!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Rickgee

We get our share of snow and ice here and I can tell you the cars on the road that have trouble maneuvering in it are rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive and 4x4 do just fine if their tires are in good shape. I do see the odd Stang that is driven year round here and they work best with snow tires on all four wheels. The city snow clearing road works here are top notch and out in force salting and plowing the roads as soon as it starts to snow.Heck I'm on a main street and they even plow the sidewalk.
I however leave my Mustang in my garage from December to April , I don't even want to drive it in the rain let alone snow.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I should add that I normally wouldn’t drive any car I cared about in the weather like we had here Wednesday evening but I’d been out of town for a few days and needed to get home. DOT reporting showed that I20 was open when I headed home but that changed during the day.

When I’m driving in snow and ice I’m mostly concerned about what sand on the road, road salt and the other nutty drives on the road can do to your car. Luckily things were so screwed up DOT did not have enough equipment to sand or salt the roads.

When I got off the I20 freeway at Douglasville I was thinking about all negative stuff I’ve read on the forum about the Mustang GT in snow and ice and was ready for big problems. But I was really pleased that in my case the car preformed great. There were a lot of cars and trucks stuck blocking the road and in the ditches on the back roads that I passed before I could fully bypass I20 find my way around to I285. I just cruised right on by without problems.

One disclaimer though. Driving in snow and ice is a learned skill and I’ve spent a lot of years learning the technique. Part of the skill is learning how to apply or reduce power, controlling speed and using the limited slip dif and manual transmission to your advantage. The limited slip dif is awesome for snow and ice but too much power and you will lose it.

Again, I’m surprised and pleased that the Mustang GT did so well and got me home safely.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
HBOMB44

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
what a bunch of nancys, mustangs do just fine unless you are running summer tires or you get into a plow condition.
Try it in northern canada.... I dare ya

Last edited by HBOMB44; 01-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
what a bunch of nancys, mustangs do just fine unless you are running summer tires or you get into a plow condition.
Excuce my lack of knowledge, but what is a "plow condition"? Also, are you referring to v6 or GT mustangs? Plus these cars have insane torque from the get-go (let alone modded), in my book torque + snow =

Im just saying, it does depend on your skill level, but in the end physics DOES win, regardless of how many times you've seen tokyo drift.

Just my .02 that's all!

Quick Reply: Mustang GT versus Atlanta Snow and Ice