Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT versus Atlanta Snow and Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So not worth it. Been driving the wife's focus through this crap.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

270 lbs of sandbags in trunk, Blizzak tires, i go go go..LOL
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang11v6
270 lbs of sandbags in trunk, Blizzak tires, i go go go..LOL
Damn! haha You definitely have the highest poundage in the trunk that I've ever heard. I think when I pick up new wheels eventually I'll use the current wheels to host some blizzaks or x-ice tires to make things much less slippy
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I hate driving mine in the rain! It's been parked for over a week

Here's my snow tires....

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

So I guess in my 27 years of driving Ohio winters, ALL of them in RWD cars, I have either been extremely lucky or never been in any type of significant snow fall or on any hills? Give me a break!
Let's see, a 59 Chevy V8 manual, 75 Monarch, 81 Crown Vic, 73 Torino, 73 Pinto, 93 Mustang, 98 Mustang, 00 Mustang, 04 Mustang and now the 05 Mustang. My wife has driven the CTS, LS, Mark VIII, 05 Trailblazer 2WD, 97 Crown Vic.... guess I'll stop now. BTW, never been stranded in any of them and I grew up on top of a VERY steep hill in eastern Ohio.
My grandfather did it since the '30's and my dad since the '50's with RWD cars. Just need to have a little weight in them, snow tires AND KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. I so love these threads.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
JimC

These threads are getting a little tiresome and ridiculous - with most of the people posting in them saying it is impossible to drive a Mustang in the snow coming from warmer climates.

I drive mine every day - and we get lots of snow here in Michigan - it really isn't that big a deal. Is it "the ideal car for winter driving" - no, but that isn't what the question that keeps coming up is in these threads. I liked my Jeep Grand Cherokee in the snow and my Explorer XLT when I had those - but like 90stang5.0 I grew up with RWD cars and lots of snow and we didn't sit at home doing nothing for the winter and didn't "break out the horse to go into town" - we got in our RWD cars (Torino, Olds 88 convertible, 1963 Chrysler Newport wagon, Pinto, 1965 Mustang convertible, Chevy van, Dodge van, etc).

In fact the only car I ever had an accident with in a snowstorm was a FWD Tempo. Once a FWD car starts to slide it is very difficult to recover from the skid compared to a RWD car.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikado463
Compared to what ?? and to think all season tires are as good as true snow tires is a joke. While yes one can get around somewhat in your configuration don't think for one minute you have an ideal car for Western NY.
#1) Where in my post did I state that all season tires where as good as snow tires for the winter months.

#2) Where in my post did I state the Mustang was an "ideal" car for Western NY.

#3) Please define what an "ideal" car is for Western NY.

#4) There are PLENTY of ofther RWD cars that are driven in the snow and don't have any problems. In addition to cars, not all trucks are 4 wheel drive.

#5) During the winter months, the vehicles that I see off the road are mostly FWD cars and SUV's.

# 6) It's a damn Mustang. Drive the **** out of that ****. Mustang GT's are a dime a dozen

#7) As stated in my previous post, one must be aware of the current road conditions, and must drive smart. If you go hot rodding around in you Mustang (or any other car) in the winter, you can expect problems, but if you adjust your driving for the given conditions, you will be just fine.

#8) Last month when we had the big fiasco in Buffalo and people go stuck on the NYS thruway for 24 hours....well it was nasty out that night, and I was on my way from Batavia NY back to Buffalo IN MY MUSTANG and with 6" of snow on the unplowed thruway I somehow managed to make it back to B-Lo just fine. Lucky for me, the lady at the toll booth advised that the thruway was a parking lot ahead, and I was able to get off early and take another route home.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90stang5.0
So I guess in my 27 years of driving Ohio winters, ALL of them in RWD cars, I have either been extremely lucky or never been in any type of significant snow fall or on any hills? Give me a break!
Let's see, a 59 Chevy V8 manual, 75 Monarch, 81 Crown Vic, 73 Torino, 73 Pinto, 93 Mustang, 98 Mustang, 00 Mustang, 04 Mustang and now the 05 Mustang. My wife has driven the CTS, LS, Mark VIII, 05 Trailblazer 2WD, 97 Crown Vic.... guess I'll stop now. BTW, never been stranded in any of them and I grew up on top of a VERY steep hill in eastern Ohio.
My grandfather did it since the '30's and my dad since the '50's with RWD cars. Just need to have a little weight in them, snow tires AND KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. I so love these threads.
+infinity...I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. There are SOOOO many other cars/trucks on the roads today that are RWD, not just the Mustang. For some reason, they all seem to do fine in the winter without any problems.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Can anyone imagine someone saying "I don't need a pick up truck. My Stang does just fine hauling a ton of lumber, cinder blocks and bags of concrete." I bet you could do that without destroying the car right away, too. At least in that scenario you don't have the possibility of other morons sliding into you (as much).
ACTUALLY, my stang does just fine hauling/towing!!! I stuffed an apartment full of furniture in that trailer and towed it from TX to NY. When it comes to towing/hauling, Mustang GT's do just fine...HA HA

Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Couger

I passed by this in my wifes front wheel corolla while my baby stayed in the garage... and it made the local paper.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT versus Atlanta Snow and Ice