Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

so what? do u know how much DEBT that US own China? face it dude, Countries all over the world chose China to make because it has way cheaper labor fees than in their own country, if they can't meet the quality that the country want, why they chose China? u really think that all the product u use which made in China are bad, poor? then dont use it and see how long u can still being alive with your hambugers. if YOU guys buy made in USA only, then, dont buy VW, TOYOTA, OTHER IMPORTS cars, u really have discrimination with China go strike with the government, or the shop tell them stop chose China to become their labor worker, you can't really find any bad staff that saids made in China on the US market, does the logo" made in China" really affect your patriotism? then go to Army fight China, can u?. If u just heard from others that Made in China is ****, then, u are dumbass. world develop together dude, its not like old times, China is not like what it used to be.

Last edited by raywang5; 01-19-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I agree its sad that so many things are not made here in the USA. Part of the reason is, the average American making those very same wheels wants a $75,000 salary, 4 weeks of paid vacation, full/excellent health insurance, and a Christmas bonus. That would make the $250 Chinese wheel cost several times as much if it were made here, and none of us would buy it.
This is exactly the issue I see with American manufacturing. The man torquing down bolts on a car does not deserve high middle class salary, nor does the person behind a press.

Although manufacturing being in America would put money into the middle class pockets, the costs of our products would sky rocket so high that even those of the middle class would feel near destitute.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Agreed. I blame unions personally for a lot of this. While I agree with some of the protections they offer, I do not agree with the level at which they oftentimes "bully" corporations into submission. My step-dad was a very high ranking official in the transport workers union for the major airlines for over 30 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the situation. I also worked for American for a few years myself and got to witness it from the "grunt worker" point of view. I was making far too much money, and had far too many benefits, for the job I was doing (tossing baggage around). This was nice for me of course, but the company was always on the near brink of disaster and was doing lay-offs quarterly because it was flat broke. Meanwhile, I don't even want to tell you how many $50 meals I was bought at union functions over the years with union dues... and there were often 20-30 people there, most of whom drank like fish while I didn't so do the math on those dinners (we're talking $2k). The other thing that drove me mad were these "senior" guys were untouchable with the layoffs or anything, and while I worked with many good people, about 30% of them clocked in and clocked out every day and did NOTHING. I often thought that American could have literally fired 30% of its workforce back then, and would have not noticed any blip in productivity.

Anyhow, thats a whole other can of worms...

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-19-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
My complaint is not necessarily the quality, it is China's constant efforts of price undercutting and slave-like wages that is causing our decent paying jobs and benefits to disappear.
Be careful what you ask for. Those "slave-like" wages (which they are not) keep costs down and keep our standard of living up. I don't see anyone standing in line to pay higher prices. Production has ALWAYS followed lost cost labor globally and always will. This is not a new phenomenon.

Having the wheels made in China is not surprising to me. All autos have parts sourced globally. Nothing new here. BTW a high percentage of Ford parts are made in Canada. So not "made in the USA". Nobody complains about that (not that they should and I love our brother and sisters to the North).
Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raywang5
so what? do u know how much DEBT that US own China? face it dude, Countries all over the world chose China to make because it has way cheaper labor fees than in their own country, if they can't meet the quality that the country want, why they chose China? u really think that all the product u use which made in China are bad, poor? then dont use it and see how long u can still being alive with your hambugers. if YOU guys buy made in USA only, then, dont buy VW, TOYOTA, OTHER IMPORTS cars, u really have discrimination with China go strike with the government, or the shop tell them stop chose China to become their labor worker, you can't really find any bad staff that saids made in China on the US market, does the logo" made in China" really affect your patriotism? then go to Army fight China, can u?. If u just heard from others that Made in China is ****, then, u are dumbass. world develop together dude, its not like old times, China is not like what it used to be.

I agree and understand your view point.....to certain degree. Read/look deeper into my write-up. I'm not trying to be cynical.

Were all fortunate to be able to buy accessories for our cars regardless where they come from......if the current trend continues most of us may not be able to buy the less expensive foreign made accessories. A country of only/mainly service industry doesn't pay well.....for the most part.

Were lucky to be in a civilization that allows us to express our uncensored opinions and choices. Like societies should interact with each other and help those countries that are less fortunate and want to evolve with Socially Responsibility. We should be wary of those governments that don't represent the voice of their people and don't educate their people for progress. That's my opinion.

P.S. it's not the people it's the governments internal/external policies (China).

Last edited by daredevil95; 01-19-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

There is a Michelin tire plant in South Carolina.

Also a Bosch plant in Charleston that makes fuel injectors. I used to work there.

Also a BMW plant in Spartanburg. Seems like most companies have gone global.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
WELL SAID -- WE NEED TO PUT YOU IN THE SENATE OR CONGRESS!!!!

PUT SOME SENSE BACK INTO THE GOV!!
Got my vote Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

One point I wanted to clarify is that, it is illogical for someone from North America to perceive Chinese wages as something bad regardless of how low they are. Those wages are f--k all if you comparison to our standard of living. However, in china for example,they are great-full to have a job, not to mention that they are well off with the exact same money because they dont have 6 cars, wood floors, and all the luxury sh-t we have.

At the end of the day competition is good for the consumer. It promotes efficiency as a whole and gives the consumer purchasing power because products become cheaper hence giving us more disposable income and also we have the ability to spend our money somewhere else if a producer is trying to raise the price on us.

Also with the advent of the internet, information is accessible to everyone and who am I to complain if products are cheaper. The bottom line is, whether I like it or not, I will always buy the least expensive product and stretch my dollar. I am not the government, nor will i try to achieve this holistic approach to life by saving everyone. Its a doggy dog world, and we cant help everyone. Because in this world there are two people "The haves, and have nots". point blank, point simple
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Foreign products aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. They are often times of decent quality and uniformity. In fact, the overall quality of goods coming out of places like China and India has been rapidly increasing in the past years, and I suspect that that will continue as these 3rd world countries continue to develop. The only part I dislike about foreign goods is that we had to lose our own industrial jobs to get them. I don't hate non-USA-made goods, and I can guarantee you that I am just as if not more patriotic then any of you.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I already know these products are good, and the best part is that they are even CHEAPER than american parts, so its a no brainer. Just because I purchase foreign parts, doesn't make me less patriotic. I risk my life everyday for this country, and thats because I love it !!!!!

Quick Reply: Wheels made in China?