Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
whaler417

Default Wheels made in China?

I took a wheel off my 2011 GT with the Brembo break package and discovered that the wheels (19" shadow grey) are made in China. Is this something that Ford has always outsourced?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

matches the tranny.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That just damn sucks. Its terrible that a major drive train component is already made in China (the MT82 manual).

If the wheels are made in china, it sucks that to buy/replace them, you have to pay prices as if they were made in America.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Who do you think makes most of the aftermarket wheels you get for these cars? China.

What about the tires? Not the USA. Goodyear is the last brand made in the USA.

You want nice wheels? They are made in Japan.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Yeah to be honest I don't see this as much of a shocker. Not to mention that China gets a far worse reputation for manufacturing than it deserves (for the most part.) I know that China does have crappier leniencies and everything than many other industrialized nations however almost everything in our every day lives is made in China and unless you hear that it is, most of us don't go complaining about every little thing in the world.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

As much as I dislike admitting it, there are some Chinese made stuff that are actually decent.

My complaint is not necessarily the quality, it is China's constant efforts of price undercutting and slave-like wages that is causing our decent paying jobs and benefits to disappear.

I am bothered primarily because I bought Ford, a Mustang in particular, in an effort to seek out made in America for the purpose to help Americans keep their jobs.
I want to reverse the trend of wage/benefit depression (caused in part by China not having min wage laws, workers rights laws, environmental laws, thus the extremely cheap labor and manufacturing costs).

Sorry for the rant, I am a fellow car enthusiast, its just that I am an American first.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
As much as I dislike admitting it, there are some Chinese made stuff that are actually decent.

My complaint is not necessarily the quality, it is China's constant efforts of price undercutting and slave-like wages that is causing our decent paying jobs and benefits to disappear.

I am bothered primarily because I bought Ford, a Mustang in particular, in an effort to seek out made in America for the purpose to help Americans keep their jobs.
I want to reverse the trend of wage/benefit depression (caused in part by China not having min wage laws, workers rights laws, environmental laws, thus the extremely cheap labor and manufacturing costs).

Sorry for the rant, I am a fellow car enthusiast, its just that I am an American first.
WELL SAID -- WE NEED TO PUT YOU IN THE SENATE OR CONGRESS!!!!

PUT SOME SENSE BACK INTO THE GOV!!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
WELL SAID -- WE NEED TO PUT YOU IN THE SENATE OR CONGRESS!!!!

PUT SOME SENSE BACK INTO THE GOV!!
Got my vote!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

It's not up to the government to determine where a private business gets it's products manufactured. Bottom line....if every part was USA made, it would be so expensive they wouldn't be able to compete.

Last thing I want is the government sticking it's nose into my business. Capitalism FTW
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

Ford's the most "American" of the big three, but if you want stuff made here, Nissan or VW is probably the way to go.

Quick Reply: Wheels made in China?