Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why its better to leave the salt on the car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Slug Catcher
1st Gear Member

Default Why its better to leave the salt on the car...

I use my stang as a daily driver. I am very **** about keeping it clean. It has been really slushy around here the last day or two. Well the temp finally dropped and I decided with a really bad cold snap coming, it would be a great time to get all that garbage washed off of my car.

I got off of work really late, but I have the next 2 days off. So 3 blocks from my house I pull into the car wash and I figure I will clean it up before I park it for a couple days. The temp is now 9 and its 3am. I give it "the works". The door opens and I drive in. As the under body spray gets started the engine actually sputters and dies. The CAI obviously iced up.

The Door behind me closes and the wash cycle starts. I then get the car started and hold my foot in it at 1500 rpm. After about 30 seconds, it was fine.

I was happy knowing that my car wouldnt spend the next couple of days rusting away as the water jets blew all the crud off of it. The spot free rinse finished and the blow dryer turned on. I heard a loud beep and the light turned green.

And then the exit door...... Did nothing !

After looking around for some sort of emergency/manual door opening, I realized there wasnt one. I quickly got out of the car and started beating on the door. " If it didnt open before the dryers shut off, I would be screwed." I hated to do this. I have seen it end so badly for others on youtube, but I had no choice."

It wouldnt budge. It was frozen solid. As the dryers shut off and the lights went out, my heart sunk. I had been boned by a mixture of modern technology and mother nature.

After sitting in the car going " OMG, what am I going to do? " I finally resorted to calling 911.

I explained to the lady that this wasnt an emergency, I just cant get out of the Car wash turned Roach Motel. They just needed to send 1 cop to help me.

About 15 minutes later I fugn hear fire truck sirens....

Its a small town and we have a volunteer fire department. I guess they figured if they have to get up at 3:30 in the morning, the rest of the town is too.

The windows of the wash were frozen over so I couldnt see out, but the cop told me to just hang on. Then I could hear them talking.... and laughing.

So after 5 minutes of hosing off the exit door, they restarted the wash cycle and the door finally opened. " got a second wash for free. hehe "

As I exit expecting to see 1 cop and 1 fire truck.... I am horrified to see 2 fire trucks and 6 cop cars from various law enforcment agencies. " must have been a slow night" Not to mention the guy from public works and the Garbage man who just stopped to watch the suspense.

I rolled down my window and thanked them for helping me. They started laughing at me. I drove home in shame.... It was embarrassing.

I am so F'ing glad I didnt get Vanity plates. I would have felt like an even bigger A-hole.

I guess next time I will just use the wand....

Last edited by Slug Catcher; 01-19-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
stang06lv
2nd Gear Member

haha thats funny story
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Wow. I am really not sure how to respond to that story man. I am at an almost total loss of words.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Aaah this is a great story. I washed mine after the storm the other day manually.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

That has got to be one of the funniest stories I have ever heard! If its much below 30, I just wait until it warms up till I wash it, but then I always do mine manually anyway.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Why anyone that lives with that white slippery stuff, what is it now, Oh yea, SNOW, should have a winter car, some old POS Chevy that they drive until all that salt is gone.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Lol funny story.. did mine at a manual car wash the other day
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
Why anyone that lives with that white slippery stuff, what is it now, Oh yea, SNOW, should have a winter car, some old POS Chevy that they drive until all that salt is gone.
Isn't every chevy an old POS beater that should be driven through salt?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

To bad the cameras weren't rolling.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

yes, must've been a slow night for all those pub servs to show up. i can picture the cascade of radio calls, text messages and cell phone calls going something like this: "hey (fill in the blank), you gotta get over here now!" (fill in the blank) says "**** off, it's single digits out there, man!" first guy says "dude, some yutz has frozen his ar$e in the car wash!" (fill in the blank) says, "hold on, i'm coming!!" good times, man, good times.

Quick Reply: Why its better to leave the salt on the car...