Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2011 GT, few questions first

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
asianman35

Default Buying a 2011 GT, few questions first

hey all, Im new to the forum and am probably buying a new GT sometime in february but I had some questions before I take the plunge.

1. Im just now learning stick, a friend at work has been taking me out in his car a couple times a week but he told me once I get the basic idea I should really just buy the car because since each clutch is different Im really going to learn on the new car. He also thought it would be harder to learn on the v8 rather than the v6 so hes recommending I get the v6 instead, what are your guys thoughts? I really want the GT but am a little scared of learning stick on it.

2. I really just want a base GT with the brembo package, but do you think the brembo package is really worth it (Im guessing youre all gonna say yes) since itll cost more in the long run (more expensive to replace, bigger tires will cost more, etc) and theres no spare with the brembo package. I def like the rims that come with the brembo package a lot more than the stock GT rims.

3. Is it worth waiting for the 2012? I dont think theres any changes really and I think ill get a better deal on a 2011 since theyre trying to get rid of them to make room for the 2012's, when are the 2012s coming out anyways?

4. I really want to stay right at or a little under $30K total including tax (6% here in MD). Is it feasible to get the GT with brembo package and 3.73 ratio axle (sticker of $32,585) for about $28K-$28.5K? I know theres $1500 customer cash back right now and I thought I read somewhere theres $3000 manufacturer to dealer incentives, but im not sure on that.

Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
bluetang
1st Gear Member

I had a 2005 & 2006 Mustang GT. I preferred the 5 speed shifting over the 2011 6 speed which I drove yesterday. The 6 speed should be superior for gas mileage, but the shifter is like a short shifter kit was put on it and there is skip shift (1st to 4th) which was noticeable at times.

The GT 412 hp is all there and well worth the price over the V6. The Brembos are more form over function. If you are learning to drive a stick you probably would never push the car hard enough to need the 4 piston caliper Brembos. Save your money and by the base GT without the bling.

Just my $.02.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Imastang

IF you can afford it you should get the 5.0 - once you get use to driving the car you would be wishing you had the V8,
With that said find someone that works for Ford and ask them to get you an X Plan that will give you $2500 off and you can add the $1500 in rebates to get a total discount of $4000.
Also - since you are looking at a stick make sure the car was manufactured after July of 2010 - Anything before that and they are having problems with the bolts that secure the pressure plate and cause hard shifting.
Not sure where you live but I just got a 2011 with the brembo pkg and 3.73 sticker price before discounts $36,166 so not sure but may not get this pkg below 30, you could without the brembo pkg though.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I think it will be hard to find a Brembo GT on the lot for 30K. Might have to order it as many on the lot will be Premium GTs (with the Brembos).
Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

1. If you want the 5.0, get the 5.0. It's a big purchase and you'll regret it later. You'll learn how to drive a stick quick but there is no going back in time.

2. Brembo.. unless you go to the drag strip, it's not really needed. G'luck with driving in MD traffic to even need to have a use for those brakes or even if you do find open road, there will be a trooper waiting around the corner. 19" wheels are difficult to find tires for. Also Brembo brakes only have 2 pistons on the front calipers.. there have been a website error stating where the rear calipers have 2 pistons as well.

3. Production on the 2011 has stopped. If you wait till the 2012 model comes out, you MAY be able to get a deal with incentives, but depending on your local market and what stock is left at the dealership. If you don't get the 2011 and you'll be fine paying for the 2012, I'd get the 2012. 2011 was the new year for the reintroduction of the 5.0 and 2012 may have the bugs kinked out.

4. Haven't done any shopping for a 5.0, so can't really help you there. Just know that your target area is expensive as hell. Maybe difficult to find a base model with Brembo package.

Last edited by alkemist; 01-23-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

Drag strip with brembos..... The brembos will fade alittle less thats it, better for a road course or race track. 19" tires are pretty available for 1400 invoice its a great deal if u like the wheels
Old 01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
1. If you want the 5.0, get the 5.0. It's a big purchase and you'll regret it later. You'll learn how to drive a stick quick but there is no going back in time.

2. Brembo.. unless you go to the drag strip, it's not really needed. G'luck with driving in MD traffic to even need to have a use for those brakes or even if you do find open road, there will be a trooper waiting around the corner. 19" wheels are difficult to find tires for. Also Brembo brakes only have 2 pistons on the front calipers.. there have been a website error stating where the rear calipers have 2 pistons as well.

3. Production on the 2011 has stopped. If you wait till the 2012 model comes out, you MAY be able to get a deal with incentives, but depending on your local market and what stock is left at the dealership. If you don't get the 2011 and you'll be fine paying for the 2012, I'd get the 2012. 2011 was the new year for the reintroduction of the 5.0 and 2012 may have the bugs kinked out.

4. Haven't done any shopping for a 5.0, so can't really help you there. Just know that your target area is expensive as hell. Maybe difficult to find a base model with Brembo package.
^Well put.

I bolded that segment because I also thought about getting a V6 when I purchased my stang. 100% happy I bought the GT and given the chance to do it again, I would make the same decision EVERYTIME. If you want a stock GT with Brembo's you might have to order that because I don't think you'll be able to find one on the lots that's not a premium with lots of goodies added on to the Brembos (Although it is worth taking a look around). Use online car shopping sites such as cars.com and autotrader.com and search for specifics. Hope you find what you want and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

If you like to drive and want to have more of a driving experience/connection with the car get the 6-speed manual. You won't regret later.

If you like the look of the rims and the better braking capability get the Brembo pkg. If you plan on buying after market rims and handling pkg later ......skip the Brembo pkg. You can install more effective parts at a later time for about the same cost.

There will be minor differences with the 2012. Research the 2012 to see if it matters to you and if you can wait that long.

I have seen plenty of new GT's on Ebay and other internet sites for under $30,000. Shop around and wait for the right deal.

Good luck!

Last edited by daredevil95; 01-23-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
Drag strip with brembos..... The brembos will fade alittle less thats it, better for a road course or race track. 19" tires are pretty available for 1400 invoice its a great deal if u like the wheels
Yep.

There's a lot more to the BBP than just brakes. It includes 19" rims with Pirelli P Zero tires, and retuned suspension. Why would you need the BBP for the drag strip??? Total waste. The BBP is a track package and that means road race track not the drag strip. The Pirelli's are expensive to replace and so are the better brake pads that don't last as long. About the cheapest MSRP on a BBP car is around $32k. I was at a dealer on Friday and they had one there but the interior had black plastic instead of the nice aluminum plates on the dash. The only option on the car was the BBP, nothing else. Nothing. The dealer told me he ordered it that way in case someone was looking for a cheap track car. If you are asking these questions you probably don't need it.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

As far as ease of driving, the 5.0 drives similarly to the 3.7l as far as clutch and steering feel. The 5.0 is just quite a bit more powerful. I'd recommend driving them both to see which one you like/ can afford. If you have and are willing to spend $30k, the 5.0 is the way to go. The advantages of the V6 is about 3-4 MPG more on average. And, in my experience, about $30 less per month in insurance. Also, the 3.7l is about $7,500 less across all trim levels. And as far as the transmission, the 6-speed manual is a lot more fun to drive. The automatic is a good transmission, but I had a hard time getting it to shift when I wanted it to when I test drove it. A good tune is supposed to fix that issue though. The automatic would benefit greatly from some paddle shifters. No matter what you choose, you'll have a blast driving it. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Buying a 2011 GT, few questions first