Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed new exhaust, need suggestions on drone fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Default installed new exhaust, need suggestions on drone fix

im pretty happy with the magnapacks i had installed before the rear axle. sounds mean and aggressive and the volume of the actually exhaust isn't bad or excessive at all. its actually a bit on the quite side.

the problem is that around 2k rpm there is a deafening drone. i mean its HORRIBLE.

i understand drone is the pipes resonating at a certain frequency and that the best way to "fix" it is to cancel it out by rebounding the same frequency.

the drone is most definently coming from the rear after the mufflers(maybe even including, kinda hard to tell, but definently sounds behind me).

so heres my thought.

if i took a piece of exhaust pipe and had it welded it between both the right and left exhaust pipe forming an H after the mufflers, would that possibly cancel or lesson the drone? now im not talking about having exhaust flow through it. the only thing going through it would be sound.

basically each exhaust pipe resonates at the frequency given off at 2k rpms. with the connecting pipe sending the sound waves into the connecting "h" pipe im gona call it. the sound waves collide and rebound into there respective pipes there by neutralizing the drone.

theoretically i think it would at least lesson the drone.

thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, it's loud all right. I have catted BBK X-pipes and a Magnaflow Magnapack cat-back exhaust in my 2010. She's loud. I put down some Damplifier Pro from Second Skin in the trunk area and followed up with some Luxury Liner. It made a noticeable difference but it's still fairly loud.

I am now able to conduct a conference phone call via BlueTooth and only occasionally get someone to say, "Do I hear a car in the background?" whereas before it was "Holy moly, is that a frigging dragster I hear? Who invited Don Garlits to our conference call?"
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I have heard of people stuffing foam or a cheap blanket into the spare tire well and having some improvement. Never tried it myself, so I have no idea how well that works. The first set of mufflers I put on my old 07 GT were Macs, and while they sounded fantastic, I had the same issue. I eventually took them off because I couldn't even enjoy the car with them on there, so I know what you mean...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

This is a tough one man. I went through SEVERAL exhaust setups and most of them had drone, and all were around 2,000 rpms. What made it worse was that 2k was my cruising rpm, so on the highway it was always there. Even after adding an H-Pipe the drone was still there. I added some resonators when I had my SLP Loudmouths on and had absolutely zero drone. It's really trial and error. It seems that you could have two identical cars with the exact same setup and one will drone more than the other. I know that didn't help much, but maybe resonators would help. I've also heard the method of adding resonators at different spots on each side so the frequencies are different as they travel through the pipes.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I had spintech mufflers which are very loud race mufflers. After LTs and cams I couldnt stand to drive my car it droned so bad. I swapped in some American thunder flowmasters which cut out all the drone. Cut in some pypes m80s to eliminate the trumpeting.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

o/r x pipe.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

That's why I went with shorty headers and Borla standard exhaust. Perfect sound with no drone.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Axlebacks like magnapacks, stingers and bassani race are notroious for droning. I don't know if an x pipe would help. I had magnapacks with a prochamber and hi-flow cats and that set-up droned the most out of all of my set-ups.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Put the car into a lower gear...problem solved!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
'11 5.0

For what it's worth, I just added ARH LT headers and X pipe and my drone went away. Had it pretty bad with just the magna flow cat-backs. I'm not sure which one corrected it, the headers or X pipe.

Quick Reply: installed new exhaust, need suggestions on drone fix