Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the car in

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Taking the car in

Well I am setting up an appointment for friday with my local dealer to fix my ambient lighting problems & a rattle I am getting from the passenger side door handle. I am wondering, will I get any problems when they hear my car (headers) & smell not cats (off road X pipe)? Also I should leave the car with the tune on it correct?

I am also experiencing some weird suspension sounds that include a squeak in the front ONLY SOMETIMES, and just before I heard a clunk in the rear when going over a bump. I have nothing in the trunk and the spare tire is down tight. Could it just be that its cold out and everything is "tight"? Guess I will have them take a look at that also.
Should I print this out and show them ?? VVV
https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...-8-3-2009.html
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
loaded6shooter
2nd Gear Member

dealer wouldnt even look for a rattle i had because of my aftermarket exhaust =(
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loaded6shooter
dealer wouldnt even look for a rattle i had because of my aftermarket exhaust =(
Well I know that, because its a modification you made. I just dont want them to b!tch about me having that stuff done to it, but I doubt they will.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The only thing you have to watch out for if you show up with a custom tune, is that they don't try and do you a favor by flashing some sort of factory ECU update onto it. What I used to do is stick about 3 layers of masking tape over the connector and write "do not flash" on it. Its up under the dash, so nobody would find that unless they were messing with the connector. I don't know if the car has any other OBDII interface connector under hood though... I know I've had some cars that actually did have a secondary...
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
The only thing you have to watch out for if you show up with a custom tune, is that they don't try and do you a favor by flashing some sort of factory ECU update onto it. What I used to do is stick about 3 layers of masking tape over the connector and write "do not flash" on it. Its up under the dash, so nobody would find that unless they were messing with the connector. I don't know if the car has any other OBDII interface connector under hood though... I know I've had some cars that actually did have a secondary...
If they are messing with my ambient lighting while trying to fix it, they might see the masking tape so should I just skip on that? Would it hurt the car if I tuned it back to stock with the headers and intake on it?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I would not drive the car without a tune. In your case, you've modified the thing enough that theres no escaping or denying it. If it were me, I'd tell the service advisor NOT to reflash the thing and also put the tape over the connector. If they flashed it with a "stock" tune for whatever reason (TSB, etc), they will mess you up with your tuner -- you'll have to pay to get it unlocked, etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I would not drive the car without a tune. In your case, you've modified the thing enough that theres no escaping or denying it. If it were me, I'd tell the service advisor NOT to reflash the thing and also put the tape over the connector. If they flashed it with a "stock" tune for whatever reason (TSB, etc), they will mess you up with your tuner -- you'll have to pay to get it unlocked, etc.
Yeah I am pretty much fvked on that part lol but I think i'll just put electrical tape over it so maybe it wont be as noticeable. Do they usually update often?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

No I don't think ECU updates are frequent/common, but we have seen it happen to a couple people over the years, so its worth keeping in mind.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Leave the car as-is and be proud of it. It's your car. Many dealers won't give you a hassle; some will. For those that will, you have to learn to be a bigger azzhole than they are. A little confidence and "blowhardiness" (take me, for example...) and you'll usually get them to back down. But again, I suspect they'll take care of you. And, as stated, above, ensure that they don't reflash your PCM. Have them write it on the work order and label the OBD port so it's a conscious effort for them disobey your request.

And certainly take the TSB with you. I can't believe how many dealerships are ignorant of the TSB's or openly lie and deny they're aware of it. Expect a battle but expect to win. There are other dealerships willing to get some skin in the game. Remind them of that.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

Dealer I go to has two techs who own 5.0s so when they open the hood and see a CAI they assume it has a tune. I think more tech would know that than don't.
The only thing I see is no Cats. A Florida trooper once told me(don't know if it is fact) that is why they are called OFF ROAD pipes because without cats your car doesn't meet Federal standards and is not legal for the road.

Anyway I don't see what your mods would have to do with your lighting problem

Last edited by Coyote 5.0; 01-25-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Taking the car in