Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take the stang to the UK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Default Take the stang to the UK?

So I found out I'm going to be moving to the UK in April. The company will provide me a lease car for my duration there. That timeframe looks to be 3-5 years. My dilemma is what to do with the mustang. I could ship it there for some odd thousand dollars, i could sell it and take a hit, or i could store it till I'm done in jolly ol England. The car is a 2010 so resale is poop( thanks ford)' but i do own it outright. I have between 5-6 grand in it. I would have to have the lights converted, but that wouldn't be too hard. The storage would be my father in law, with him it would be stored in his workshop and be babied. If i sell it i could get whatever the Brits consider a fun car. Im so torn. I welcome any and all thoughts on this. My wife says just sell it and take the hit. Easier said then done, ive grown attached to the car.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Take her with you! You will be such a Boss driving a Mustang GT in the UK.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if your company will lease you a car there, would they pay to ship your car there?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Can you take it with you? I mean, is it financially feasible, and street legal in europe? And when I visited england a few years back, I distinctly remember the tiny roads and TIGHT parallel parking spots/rainy weather and stuff... Would you mind your car in that stuff, or is it gonna bother you for the next few years?

I dont know what the brits consider a fun car, but I hear the vw golfs are really popular first cars over there. And also, if you store it then you cant enjoy it for a few years to come right? Wouldn't you be better off in another car in Europe that you CAN enjoy then and there?

If all else fails, you can always get a MINI
Jk, man. Good luck on your decision! And have fun in Europe! Don't become a stranger to the forum just cause you're in the UK
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
if your company will lease you a car there, would they pay to ship your car there?
Exactly what I was thinking. I couldn't imagine your company would lease a car for 4 years when they could go the cheaper route and just pay for your car to be boated over. I wonder, if they'd make you pay to have it shipped back though... food for thought
Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM
2011Kona3.7L
1st Gear Member

Sell the stang, lease a Vauxhall VXR8 while in England, buy 2011+ GT when you get back.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Leave the Mustang in the USA and get a Ford Fiesta.....Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson approves!!

Last edited by daredevil95; 01-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Good responses. For those asking about the shipping paid for by the company, nope. The company gives you an amount to lease a car there so they don't have to ship one for you. From what i have seen shipping quotes are hovering around 5-7 thousand to boat it over. Then i have to pay to convert it to the UK lighting. I have to find out more from the company relocation people. I'm not sure what the lease specifics are. I think im given a certain amount and if its over that i pay. Keeping the car would mean i have a 14000 mile car 3-5 years from now when there could be a fancy new stang to buy. Selling means i take a hit, but that's extra liquid funds for across the pond. Unfortunately I'm not too keen on the idea of modifying a lease car. So i would need something fun. That or ill go insane. Good suggestions so far on possible substitutes. Argh, why does a good opportunity have to cause this kind of stress haha?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Can you take it with you? I mean, is it financially feasible, and street legal in europe? And when I visited england a few years back, I distinctly remember the tiny roads and TIGHT parallel parking spots/rainy weather and stuff... Would you mind your car in that stuff, or is it gonna bother you for the next few years?

I dont know what the brits consider a fun car, but I hear the vw golfs are really popular first cars over there. And also, if you store it then you cant enjoy it for a few years to come right? Wouldn't you be better off in another car in Europe that you CAN enjoy then and there?

If all else fails, you can always get a MINI
Jk, man. Good luck on your decision! And have fun in Europe! Don't become a stranger to the forum just cause you're in the UK
I'm a nut for keeping the car clean here and it pains me to think of UK weather. Eeeek salty air! Good point!

Yeah, storing it is seeming less likely the more i think about it. Just seems wrong to put it away for so long.

I guess the "hot hatch" is a popular all around car there, just don't know if its my thing. And no mini for me thanks. Not my cup of tea. Now the Ford focusRS seems like a nice " bit of kit" as they say across the pond.

I'll definitely stay on the site. If the stang heads to someone elses garage, ill get a replacement when i get back. I'll need to stay up to date on stuff so i don't buy a car that gets a bigger engine the year after....wait i already did that haha.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011Kona3.7L
Sell the stang, lease a Vauxhall VXR8 while in England, buy 2011+ GT when you get back.
I like where your heads at, Ill look more into that.

Quick Reply: Take the stang to the UK?