Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.31 to 3.73 dealer quote - help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, thats good news about the warranty - I'd still like to avoid a conflict, but how often will my rear end come into question - not so often I imagine...

Does this kit include EVERYTHING I need?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-End-Gear-Kit

It says it includes:
Kit includes:
1 Ford Racing Performance Parts 3.73:1 gearset
1 Master bearing kit (includes pinion & carrier bearings, pinion seal, ring gear bolts, pinion nut, crush sleeve, shims, and marking compound)
1 bottle of Ford Racing Performance Parts Friction Modifier
2 bottles of Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil

It says master bearing and carrier bearings, is that the same as "side bearings" as the guy at the dealership called it?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

That will cover it......before you order it print a copy and bring it over to a Mustang tuner let him know what your plans are. You never know, he may have a kit and could install it that same day. 3.73 & 4.10 Ford Racing Rear Gear kits are very common. Let us know how you like the new gears!! Good Luck!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

You don't specify if you have an auto or manual. If it's a manual, the handheld tuner can adjust the speedo setting.

IF it's an auto, you need to buy an aftermarket tune to adjust the shift points or depending if you take it to a mustang shop that can tune it for you when it's installed.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Sweet, thanks! Good idea, I'll print it out and make sure its what they're looking for.

I'm a MT guy - guess I left that out of my sig.

Edit: updated signature

Last edited by angryBits; 02-01-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Perhaps not that common, but you might be better off just holding off on doing any purchasing ahead of time.

I´d suggest finding the shop you want first to do this before buying anything. The great place I took mine to (Swarr Auto)will just give the turn-around price including the FRPP needed. Installing second-hand parts, (even shown as new) at a shop is usually something they try to avoid for obvious reasons.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-01-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

That is triple what it's worth. The gears are 200 tops,bearing and shim kit 80 and 60 and install is 300.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

You can get pretty well everything from AM.

The kit you list there looks like it is from LateModelResto. I am going to be doing a gear swap on my 05 soon too. The oil in that kit is not the right weight. Check out AM....their website will tell you which oil to use....it is a heavier one.

You need 3 quarts like one of the previous posters mentioned. Your car is brand new or I would imagine not many miles....therefore you only need the basic install kit...about $36 from AM. So basically 3 things you need:

1. FRPP 373 gears
2. Royal Purple oil 75W140 x 3 quarts (no need for friction modifier)
3. Basic install kit

Get AM to price match the gears from BuyFordRacing (I believe they currently have the best price at least on 410's, which is what I bought) and get a mustang forum code from AM and get 6% off the other two items (basic install kit and oil).

The dealership is taking you to the cleaners on that price.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Damn that's high! You can get new Moser Axles, Detroit Tru Trac, Gears and install for that price!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I used the Royal Purple oil but my installer still recommended friction modifier, even though the oil says it's not necessary. It was put in as an added safety measure but it depends on your installer.

Free shipping from AM and the 6% off was a great deal on the oil. I bought my 4.10 gear set and build kit from streetsideauto.com, they were on sale and had a 15% coupon at that time. Ended up getting brand new FRPP gear set relatively cheap.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by angryBits
I'm still reading around, and people are recommending to others to install a traction lok while they're at it, is that what ford called a limited slip?
Traction-Lok is just a Ford name for their limited-slip diff. If yours is a 2011 GT...then you already have a limited-slip. If you're going to be abusing your car a bit (mostly launching hard) then you may want to consider upgrading to a heavy-duty limited slip as this would be the time to do it if you're changing gears. There's a handful of good ones out there. I've had an Auburn HD in my 1983 GT for a decade and have had zero problems with it...and I'm not easy on it.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 3.31 to 3.73 dealer quote - help!