Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics: GT500 Steering Wheel "EMBLEM" Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Pics: GT500 Steering Wheel "EMBLEM" Swap

I've been reading threads about swapping their stock steering wheels for the GT500 but having to retain the factory airbag. That is true. Some even made the swap just to get the GT500 emblem. I didn't need to swap the whole wheel because mine is very similar to the GT500 wheel other than the emblem and the suede.

There are a bunch of threads saying the only way to get this emblem is to replace the airbag. Well, I figured out a way to do it without having to get a new airbag.

I ordered the airbag emblem online and used that emblem for the swap. All you have to do is gently pry the the emblem around the edges with a flathead screwdriver and work your way around it. It will start to lift off and will eventually separate from the steering wheel. Same process to install the new emblem, just go slow and make sure you don't bend the tabs while you're pressing it in.

Edit: If you already knew this was possible, please disregard

Pics Below:

Original Steering Wheel Shot (Taken right after I bought the car a year and a half ago):

What it looks like under the emblem on the steering wheel:

The original Pony emblem after I pulled it off:

Pics after I installed the new emblem onto my existing steering wheel (crappy night shots, and yes, I know I need to vacuum the inside of the car):

Last edited by discodave; 02-03-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

What are you using to hold your gps in place like that? Looks good... meaning the emblem.... and the gps lol.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karnage541
What are you using to hold your gps in place like that? Looks good... meaning the emblem.... and the gps lol.
Thanks man. I just put the small disc that comes with the garmin gps and mounted the suction cup right to it. it's sitting right on top of that power outlet in the middle. I have it wired behind the dash and have a backup camera running into it. As far as I know the Garmin 5000 is the only GPS that has inputs for audio/video.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

That looks wicked!!! Are you willing to sell your stock one?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Where on line did you get it from?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Easy fix on the wheel...looks ok.

I use this for my GPS...

ARKON GN097-USB Pedestal Lighter Socket Mount with integrated Mini USB Power for Garmin

Removed the short leg and it fits in the Acc. plug good. It does wiggle a bit but does not move while driving.....other than once I drove out from under it and the wife caught it....you have to watch real hard acceleration...lol
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
That looks wicked!!! Are you willing to sell your stock one?
Thanks man. Do you mean sell the stock pony emblem that I pulled off?

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
I got it on Ebay from blueovalindustries. You can also get it from their website. Here's the link to the product. Basically it's the airbag covers from the steering wheel and the passenger side but without the airbags in them. 99 bucks. I figured I'd rather spend the 99 bucks and get the emblem that would work than buy another steering wheel that was almost identical to the one I already have. You'd also have to buy the airbag itself since the steering wheel alone wouldn't have the emblem.

Here's the link to it on their website:

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/in...11/in9590.html

I just gently pulled the cobra emblem off of the steering wheel piece and installed it in my existing steering wheel.

Last edited by discodave; 02-02-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karnage541
Here's another shot that shows the gps setup. You can see how it's connected behind the gps unit. Very clean and doesn't move at all. Some of the other options out there have the GPS sticking out too far. Had woodgrain interior back then. I decided it was way too "luxery car" looking for my taste so ended up with the carbon fire i have now:

Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Thanks man. Do you mean sell the stock pony emblem that I pulled off?
Yes, if you have paypal and would be willing to ship it, (you could probably just drop it in your mailbox in an envelope) I would gladly buy it from you! My stock one is pitting and peeling and it looks terrible. I've always loved the ones on the 2010. Let me know if you are interested and I'll PM you. The car is looking sick though, man! I love how you painted the exterior plastic silver... gives it an expensive look.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
I just found another one on their site that just has the driver's side, which is probably what most people would want. If i had seen this one before I would have just bought this. 59 bucks instead of the 99 I paid for both sides:

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/in...1/in9630d.html

Quick Reply: Pics: GT500 Steering Wheel "EMBLEM" Swap