Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Stagger or Not? RTR Wheels or...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Hey, guys, I have a question. I'm kinda new to cars so don't think I'm dumb. What does not being able to rotate the tires mean?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:36 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Hey, guys, I have a question. I'm kinda new to cars so don't think I'm dumb. What does not being able to rotate the tires mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_rotation
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55
so if you cant rotate and your alignment shortens the lifetime of the tire why are you running 305s out front?
The way I read it, the only alignment requirement for anybody interested in running the same wheels and tire sizes as Pete is for camber to be set to at least -1.3°. As long as your driving - your usual cornering in particular - is hard enough, you can still get decent tread life and nice even tread wear at least as far out as -1.75° camber. Though your toe would probably have to be a lot closer to zero.

As far as staggering itself goes, it manages to take a car with relatively minimal understeer and make it understeer more. Even in reasonably normal driving, cornering "turn-in" is dulled, and this is something that can be felt if you've got something to compare against. To some extent, you can re-tune the suspension to dial out some of the extra understeer, but I doubt that very many of the folks who get all starry-eyed over staggered setups have this as part of the plan going in.

The visual part of stagger - all you have to do is look at it and let your imagination run away with you about the sort of power that it's just got to have under the hood, which just has to equal "fast" anywhere, right? Umm, not everywhere.

That ↑↑↑ isn't intended as flame, BTW, and for most people the little extra stability that comes with a little more understeer can actually make a car feel a little more comfortable to drive a little bit fast. But by doing so, you're turning the car into a "point and shoot, stab-and-steer" sort of vehicle that'll be as fast as it is around a road course, auto-X course, or canyon road in spite of itself. Not because staggered is inherently a "faster" setup anywhere but at the dragstrip.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-22-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
JusticePete

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The way I read it, the only alignment requirement for anybody interested in running the same wheels and tire sizes as Pete is for camber to be set to at least -1.3°. As long as your driving - your usual cornering in particular - is hard enough, you can still get decent tread life and nice even tread wear at least as far out as -1.75° camber. Though your toe would probably have to be a lot closer to zero.

As far as staggering itself goes, it manages to take a car with relatively minimal understeer and make it understeer more. Even in reasonably normal driving, cornering "turn-in" is dulled, and this is something that can be felt if you've got something to compare against. To some extent, you can re-tune the suspension to dial out some of the extra understeer, but I doubt that very many of the folks who get all starry-eyed over staggered setups have this as part of the plan going in.

The visual part of stagger - all you have to do is look at it and let your imagination run away with you about the sort of power that it's just got to have under the hood, which just has to equal "fast" anywhere, right? Umm, not everywhere.

That ↑↑↑ isn't intended as flame, BTW, and for most people the little extra stability that comes with a little more understeer can actually make a car feel a little more comfortable to drive a little bit fast. But by doing so, you're turning the car into a "point and shoot, stab-and-steer" sort of vehicle that'll be as fast as it is around a road course, auto-X course, or canyon road in spite of itself. Not because staggered is inherently a "faster" setup anywhere but at the dragstrip.

Norm
+1 Sir