Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my alternator took a dump . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I'll either get a reman from Ebay, or if I'm going to drop 200+ bucks I'll do one through summit racing. Wish they sold rebuild kits for this one . . .
Please let us know which one you go with. Mine hasnīt gone down the hole like this, but it does still need to be flushed when I can afford it.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Will keep you posted for sure.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Will keep you posted for sure.
This one (200+amp max, 100+ @ idle)from PA performance was the one I had in mind. They got a mention in mustangmonthly here. Cha-ching city @$350, but probably worth it in the long run, esp. if you have decent aftermarket draws to contend with.

Last edited by wayne613; 02-04-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

157dB recommended this one. I would trust his judgement. From this post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I've been driving the stang to and from work (about 32 miles each way) these past few days since it's been dry up here. Last night on the way home my check charging system light popped on. I could see my charging guage was closer to center instead of slightly to the right of center as usual. I flipped off my headlights and radio (it wasn't dark outside yet, I just generally drive with the lights on whenever) to conserve juice, and managed to drive the remaining 7-8 miles home on the battery only.

Popped the hood and saw that the red rubber positive terminal cover was noticable charred. Must have been some resistence building up there or somewhere. Going to bench test the alternator today, but the output side of it was only reading 4-5v when running the car, and the battery was reading about 11v, so it obviously wasn't getting a positive charge.

Do 06's fall into the time period for crappy alternators/charging systems?

It should only take 30 mins or so to replace, just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Sorry to hear that man, we broke my alternator (trying to clock it) while installing my Saleen last year. I actually have an extra, unopened alternator sitting on the floor in my garage.

Sure it's only going to take your 30 minutes with to change out though? I remember that being one of the biggest pains when installing the SC... do you have the properly alternator pulley removal tool?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

The pulley might take a bit of time if it requires a special key or tool. I haven't looked at the face of it yet, since it sits backwards on this engine. Physically getting it in and out should be rather quick though.

Usually I talk the guys up at autozone into letting me use their electric impact gun to swap the pulley.

Let me know if you're looking to get rid of that extra alternator, and how much you want for it . The Mustang is kinda an extra car, so it's not a rush job to fix it.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

The pulley might take a bit of time if it requires a special key or tool. I haven't looked at the face of it yet, since it sits backwards on this engine. Physically getting it in and out should be rather quick though.

Usually I talk the guys up at autozone into letting me use their electric impact gun to swap the pulley.

Let me know if you're looking to get rid of that extra alternator, and how much you want for it . The Mustang is kinda an extra car, so it's not a rush job to fix it.
Yeah, unfortunately it does require an impact gun and special tool

http://speedlab.saleen.com/store_con...roduct_id=7095

It comes with the Saleen install kits and I'd offer to 'loan' you mine but can't seem to find it.

Last edited by S197steve; 02-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Aww . . . figures Saleen would do something douchey like put a special nut on it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Just for info purposes only, I checked my terminals the other day after a charging issue came up out of the blue. Both terminals had corrosion on them. It's the original battery and alternator, 5 years and 35k miles. I cleaned the terminals and connectors. The issues have gone away . . .for now.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Ditto. I (well my dad actually noticed it) actually found that there was some corrosion on the positive terminal, and that some copper had melted on and almost welded the bolt to the terminal. Guess the corrosion had created enough resistance that it was eating most of the juice.

He cleaned them up, put some dielectric grease on there, and walla! 14.5v back to the battery.

Quick Reply: I think my alternator took a dump . . .