Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Stalling, cut off while making a turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 AM
GTTex08
1st Gear Member

I had this problem just after installing my Steeda CAI, but it was because I didn't tighten the clamps enough at the throttle body and it dislodged itself during my test drive. Not enough air was getting in through the TB and it would stall if I came to a stop without pumping the throttle. I also had trouble getting it to restart when it did stall.

Double check that all your CAI connections are still as they should be, if it's not the case maybe the TB needs a cleaning like CKurello suggested. Outside of that I'm not sure.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunyou
New guy without a mustang here but one question. Did the car get into the turn before shutting off or just when you stopped
It shut off when I was into the turn. It has happened twice. It has not shut off at a full stop at this point.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let me stress that it's worth cleaning the TB before doing much else. Replacing the fuel filter isn't a bad idea, cleaning the TB first may save you the immediate aggravation of having to do it.

As far as replacing the battery, even if it wasn't the issue, the OE battery is crap so you at least saved yourself some problems down the road.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

I'd look for a vacuum leak probably a loose connecting hose or worst case ripped. I was assume it would be in the air delivery system.

My truck got a rip in the main air intake duct between the air filter box and the intake. When I would turn a certain direction it would die, or nearly die because the turn would separate the crack in the hose.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Well today I got the check charging system warning twice, car cut off while driving again, coming to a stop. I finally got a code tho. "P0622 generator field terminal circuit". Is that a code for the alternator? I googled it and it seems to be the case.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 PM
DougFL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dame83
Well today I got the check charging system warning twice, car cut off while driving again, coming to a stop. I finally got a code tho. "P0622 generator field terminal circuit". Is that a code for the alternator? I googled it and it seems to be the case.
Yes since you already changed the battery, the alternator is probably the issue. That was going to be my next suggestion after fuel filter. If it had been the air intake and loose connections there, you would usually get the check engine light and would get codes for vaccuum leaks. With that code, go with a new alternator. Not a very difficult procedure if you know what you are doing or even a novice with a Haynes manual.

If that code is logging with a new battery, it is almost certainly the alternator. Let us know how it works out. Bets of luck...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Just an update guys, The car has been acting normal since Wednesday. Really odd situation here. I want to clear the codes and see of the p0622 comes back. But at this point im just gonna hold off till next week before attempting any more repairs. May just change out the alternator anyway.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Final update on this issue. Well I have installed a new alternator, new battery. Still had issue after that task was completed. But I took my alternator to get tested and it falied, so battery and alternator needed replacement anyways.

Cleaned my CIA filter and oiled it, cleaned Throttle Body and changed my fuel filter. Problem solved!. No more idle issues or cutting off. Seems that one of those was the culprit. Thanks for you suggestions guys. Car is running great now.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sweet! Glad to hear that.

I cringe at the # of alternator/battery issues the S197's have. Ay caramba!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CKurello
Clean your throttle body (make sure to use TB cleaner not carb or MAF). I had a similar problem and it was just a dirty TB (stupid electronic TB).
^^ This. I've had to clean mine 2x in the last year for the same issue. Never died but would plop down to about 250rpm and jump to 1000. Would do this 2-3x and then level out at idle. Quick wipedown of throttle body (back of the throttle blades, all around the opening) and it was good to go again! And it this doesn't fix it, well you've wasted nothing but time and a couple bucks on TB cleaner.

Quick Reply: Mustang Stalling, cut off while making a turn