Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 5.0l crate enigne

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Gibb

Default 2011 5.0l crate enigne

im new to this site, and i know this is a mustang forum but i cant help but ask this cause it will beawsome to do this. ive done a little research on the 2011 5.0l and want to know what all i would need to put one of these beasts in a ford ranger. i know i will need the engine wiring harness and transmission. but what brand headers, stock or performance. and does anybody know where i can buy this stuff? ive found a motor for around $6200, is there anywhere that has them for cheaper? any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

For the stock headers to go on the Coyote 5.0L, you can buy them, you have to unfortunately go to the Ford dealership and pay their inflated prices.
Aftermarket headers that will fit are sold by Kooks, Pypes, StainlessSteelworks, and others that slip my mind right now.

The 5.0L Coyote currently is mounted to either a Ford 6R80 automatic, or the Chinese made MT82 manual. Both of these can only be purchased at the dealership (I think, I have not seen them sold anywhere else).
I am not sure, but I believe the Coyote uses the same bolt pattern as the 4.6L, if so, you can use a TR6060, or the 6060's reinforced brother, the T56 Magnum. JPC Racing has bolted on a TKO 600 to the Coyote, but I do not know what mods they used to make it work.
For any of the Tremec trannies, just a Google search and you will find several Tremec dealers.
Whatever tranny you get, do not go cheap because the Coyote will twist it to shreds.

Speaking of the power put on the drivetrain, you probably will have to replace the rear end too. The coyote is okay with 8.8in rear diff gears, if you have that in you truck already, you can buy a variety of gear ratios from 3.31:1 to more than 4.10:1.

Also, you will need to a better driveshaft. Don't skimp here either, you don't want to have it fail on you and come up through your floor board and literally say your truck in half. You might have to get a custom driveshaft because the distance form the tranny output shaft to the rear diff gear will be altered.

One of the most important thing to get is the ECU to run your engine. This is an absolute must because without the correct ECU, the Coyote cannot function correctly.
For example: If you take an ECU form a 4.6L, and try to use that on a Coyote, that chip cannot independently phase the Coyote's DOHC arrangements.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I don't think there are currently any swap kits available for the Ranger so unfortunately it will be way more involved than buying a kit full of parts and bolting them in. That being said, you would need the engine, transmission, computer, and wiring harness for sure. Then comes the issue of mounting the thing in the truck - motor mounts, transmission crossmember, driveshaft, exhaust manifolds / headers, radiator, clearance issues, etc., and all of these things would have to be swap specific. Another issue I've read about is the fact that the 5.0 has electric power steering so that's something else to think about. Can it be done? Probably. Would it be cool? Sure. Is it cost effective? Heck no. If you have the equipment and ability to fab up brackets, mounts, and things like that then you could probably do it but I wouldn't even want to guess what the time spent and final cost would be. The way I have approached engine swaps is to collect all the necessary parts to make the engine run first, then if you collect all those parts and you still have money left and interest in the project, proceed to the swap specific parts. The whole thing will be much simpler if there is a swap kit available but I haven't seen one.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 AM
ShaneGT

also remember, if you use the mustang ECU, you need the instrament cluster.. the cluster acts as a Communication hub, car will no run without it..
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

No worries about posting on a Mustang forum...a Ranger is a Ford and if you wanna put the new 5.0 in one...that's great!

You will also want to look at the accessories. The new 5.0 uses electronic steering versus conventional used on your ranger. You may have to find bracketry to somehow fit a conventional power steering pump onto the new 5.0. (edit...I just notice jrock already mentioned this above)

As for motor mounts, etc...check out TheRangerStation.com if you haven't already. The computer is going to be the stickiest point on this, though. Usually, someone develops stand-alone computers to do swaps like this...but since the Coyote is so new, I don't know that anyone has done this yet. I don't know if you watch Trucks! on Spike...but a while back they put a 4.6 out of a Mercury Merauder into a Mazda (read Ranger) and used a stand-alone computer from what I remember to be a good auto electronics customizing shop...maybe you could research that to see who it was and contact them...?

One thing is that if you start collecting the main parts needed now, it probably won't be too long until somebody will hopefully make a swap kit with all the necessary mounts, brackets, etc to make it a bit easier.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how this turns out! Good Luck!

Last edited by Dewyrussler; 02-08-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
also remember, if you use the mustang ECU, you need the instrament cluster.. the cluster acts as a Communication hub, car will no run without it..
When I was testing the 2011 GT500 Cluster in my 2010 GT I was able to swap the clusters while the car was running. I did this to make sure everything was working and bypass the PATS system.

Not sure if car would start with no cluster ... I didn't try that ... but it ran fine while swapping clusters.

Due to the PATS it probably wouldn't have started if cluster is disconnected.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

I looked it up...the guys on Trucks! used the below company for their electronics. Maybe they'd have something to help make that 5.0 run....?

Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC
Company Name: Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC
Phone: 864-335-9365

It was from project Rolling Thunder
http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in...08&ep_sea=1001
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Since the words "is there anywhere that has them cheaper?" were used, relaying the info that you can get a crate engine with everything you need to install a Coyote into ANY car is already available from Ford. No instrument cluster needed. I know this to be true, because there is a 67 fastback running around with this already done. It is a truly awesome car.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Gibb

they make a wiring harness for the new 5.0l and all this info is great. i was watching powerblock last weekend and they are putting the coyote in a 33 hot rod with the wiring harness and a TKO5 tremec tranny. could i just do a rack and pinion steering? And im a certified welder so fabing brakets and stuff wont be a problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

Cool...SCCA is right.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11829

This would be an awsome project...but only if wanted to spend that much. The motor is 7k, the control pack is 1800 bucks, and alternator kit is $245. It will set you back about 9k but would be saweeet! As cool as that would be, I do have to say that you could do the same swap with a pushrod 5.0 for about half the price with similar hp/tq numbers.

Please keep us posted on your project!

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0l crate enigne