Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have an Exhaust Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
Thanks for the advice.

Part of the problem likely stems from when I was doing some of my earlier mods on a much stricter budget... which means too many different installers and maybe not the most reputable due to budget limitation.

I partially suspect the tune, but on the other hand if the LT's were not installed properly that would seem to me like the only way exhaust could leak in to the manifold... since it's the only part of the exhaust that's really that close to the manifold... but again I'm no mechanic.

I think what I'll do is take it to MC Racing (going to have them install my SC, they are a pretty reputable shop around here) after I do a visual check for any obvious leaks. If I don't see anything obvious, probably will be suspecting the tuning... which at that point the tune is being replaced w Brenspeed Tune once the SC is on, then tweaked anyway.

Since they are installing my SC I think they would be honest about it because the last thing they want is bad press from someone blowing up their car after an SC install.
Hey, your practically my neighbor.
If you have a hole in the exhaust(and i mean a real hole) the volume would rise substantially. If you have a small leak, or a break in the seal, at the front of the x-pipe connection, you should be able to see carbon deposits somewhere on it. As the exhaust escapes, it leaves behind a dirty little clue. It can sometimes be obvious. The longer this issue occurs, the more obvious it gets. If you are unable to see anything, then it would be safe to assume that you wouldnt be able to smell it either, and the problem may be something else. The lean code is indicative of a vaccuum leak. It could be somewhere along the intake seal, OR in the exhaust. This code originates from the first sensor(s) seeing too much oxygen in the exhaust. The computer will add more fuel to compensate, and reducing your mileage. This will ultimately lead to an early demise of catalysts if you still have them.

Getting the proper tune loaded in for the mods you have done, may or may not take of the MIL. Personally, I wont go to MC. My own experience wasnt the greatest. BUT, they wouldnt still be there if they totally sucked. I own a shop in Gardner and know the people behind the scenes at House of Boost since Darian got hurt. They are opening up another performance fabrication shop near 87th and Flint. At the moment, they are moving everything in and should be up and running in about 2 weeks.

I sell ProChargers at my place. I can install too, and have Power Performance do the tuning.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
Looked under the car and I did see a slight amount of white smoke coming from near the front, by the x pipe. I think it was by the cats.
If you have a helper, start the car and then have them hold their hands over the tailpipes (they could put gloves on) while you look up at the exhaust. "Plugging" the tailpipe will make it clear exactly where it's leaking. You should be able to see it better this way.

If you've run it a while since putting on your exhaust...a periodic re-tightening is a must.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Hey, your practically my neighbor.
If you have a hole in the exhaust(and i mean a real hole) the volume would rise substantially. If you have a small leak, or a break in the seal, at the front of the x-pipe connection, you should be able to see carbon deposits somewhere on it. As the exhaust escapes, it leaves behind a dirty little clue. It can sometimes be obvious. The longer this issue occurs, the more obvious it gets. If you are unable to see anything, then it would be safe to assume that you wouldnt be able to smell it either, and the problem may be something else. The lean code is indicative of a vaccuum leak. It could be somewhere along the intake seal, OR in the exhaust. This code originates from the first sensor(s) seeing too much oxygen in the exhaust. The computer will add more fuel to compensate, and reducing your mileage. This will ultimately lead to an early demise of catalysts if you still have them.

Getting the proper tune loaded in for the mods you have done, may or may not take of the MIL. Personally, I wont go to MC. My own experience wasnt the greatest. BUT, they wouldnt still be there if they totally sucked. I own a shop in Gardner and know the people behind the scenes at House of Boost since Darian got hurt. They are opening up another performance fabrication shop near 87th and Flint. At the moment, they are moving everything in and should be up and running in about 2 weeks.

I sell ProChargers at my place. I can install too, and have Power Performance do the tuning.
I think I might have raced you a summer or two ago on 135th & Switzer actually haha. You spun the tires, so I took you off the line but quickly caught up... but it might have been another car

So far... I have got 2 quotes for the SC install.

MC Racing - $900~ish
Supertune - $700

Typically in the past I have gone to Supertune. They were the only people I found that could line up the Pypes Mid Muffler correctly, tried a lot of other regular shops and people I knew... Midas ended up f'ing it up bad, cutting the pipe and now one is shorter than the other. I was pissed at them. Never going there again...

I am not sure if my code is caused by the tune from Supertune, or if it's due to the problem on my exhaust...

MC Racing seems to have a better rep though I do trust Ryan, but if something goes wrong want to make sure it's a place that is going to have a way to cover it if they screw up and break something on the install.

What was the whole issue with Darian?