Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes LTs, H-pipe, Mac Axle Backs, Detroit Rocker, No Cats = Loud

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default Pypes LTs, H-pipe, Mac Axle Backs, Detroit Rocker, No Cats = Loud (video)

So I recently installed all of the stuff in the title. 2 months ago I was pretty much stock with just my JLT II CAI and some SLP LM II's out back.

First thing I did was the LT's, H, and Macs. It was a good deal louder than the stock setup with the LM's, but still manageable.

Last week, I had my Detroit Rockers installed. It got A LOT louder. Now parts in my car vibrate at different RPM's, people can't hear me when I place my order at drive-thru's, and I'm constantly terrified of a cop sitting behind me at a light. If the RPM's hit 3k, it sounds like Nascar.

So my plan is to install some Pypes m80's just after the H pipe.

Here's a vid of the current setup. I hope to have the m80's installed this weekend.

Also, I just cleaned the TB and reflashed my tune yesterday and I think the car is in a learning stage because I'm getting a horrible lag at 20mph when going WOT. Good news is the idles for both Drive and Neutral sit right at 750rpm, even with the AC on. (I had a bouncing idle issue before cleaning the TB, oil separator is on the way).

The camera is about 15-20 feet behind the car, otherwise the mic would get over loaded. Opinions are welcomed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVKKUgec3Zc

Update - Feb 12, 2011

Got both m80's in. This vid follows the same routine as the original without the m80's.

I honestly prefer how evil and menacing it sounded WITHOUT the m80's, but with being my DD, I can't deal with the constant rattling and not being able to hear people talk. I'm actually in a carpool at work so I have consider my passengers, including my wife who still isn't to fond of the CAM shaking the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11qQSREDbS4

Update - April 16, 2011

Updating this thread once again.

I drove around with the m80s and Mac's until about a week ago. Last Saturday I was feeling curious so I put my SLP loud mouths on in place of the Macs. Suprisingly the car wasn't extremely loud at idle and was bearable at startup.

On throttle, it was about as loud as the Mac's without m80's, but had a completely different sound. To me it sounded like a diesel truck. I'd get tons of looks from everyone whenever I got on it. The sound got annoying and old so I took them off after 3 days. Still wanting to try something new, I decided to put my stock mufflers on. They had been on the shelf since late 2007.

So this setup is pretty quiet compared to everything else, almost stock quiet but it sounds good. I actually like it a lot. I'm starting to prefer people NOT know how much throttle I'm giving. With my louder exhaust, someone else always decided to get on it when I did which also got annoying.

I do wonder if I'm doing anything to my performance by having m80's inline with stock mufflers, but even if it is its probably negligible.

The other setup I'm curious about is taking the m80's back out, but to do that I'd have to buy 4 butt clamps and that would also mean I'd have a pretty loose exhaust.

Anyway, here's a video staged just like the others. Oh yeah, idle RPMs are now 650 for both drive an neutral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTwnp6uXF5Y

Last edited by Bmr4life; 04-16-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Although you didn't ask for opinions I would bet you are going to get some.
People and loud exhaust are like Ford and Chevy owners. If you like loud then loud is what you should have.
I like a more mellow sound. I didn't even have to change my 11 GT exhaust , it sound good to me.
I also like to talk to the person next to me in my car, and my neighbors like to sleep at night when come home.
Not that I have any room to talk, but Pypes is spelled PIPES.

Last edited by Recon111; 02-12-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
You lost ALL of your credibility right there man.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 02-12-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Although you didn't ask for opinions I would bet you are going to get some.
People and loud exhaust are like Ford and Chevy owners. If you like loud then loud is what you should have.
I like a more mellow sound. I didn't even have to change my 11 GT exhaust , it sound good to me.
I also like to talk to the person next to me in my car, and my neighbors like to sleep at night when come home.
He did spell Pypes correctly. It's a company name.
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
You lost ALL of your credibility right there man.
LOL

Your car sounds bad azz by the way. The M80's would tone it down a bit but you could also get any resonators to do the same job. I went the cheaper route and got Dynomax race bullets to tone down my o/r prochamber and MAC axlebacks.

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 02-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

OK guy's relax, I had no idea that pypes was a company, My bad.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Bmr4life the car sounds great! well done.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

OK guy's relax, I had no idea that pypes was a company, My bad.
I'm not bitter, lol. I just thought it was hilarious. I actually agree with you as far as the loudness of it all. If you read the OP you'd see I'm working on bring the sound level down.

Everyone, thanks for the opinions. I actually just finished cutting and bolting up one of my m80's. Here's a quick vid.

Driver side m80. Passenger side, no m80. Just idling.

Big difference in the up close shots. Raspy/Nascar sound is definitely reduced by the m80.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xCNhvEG7N4

Last edited by Bmr4life; 02-12-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
I'm not bitter, lol. I just thought it was hilarious. I actually agree with you as far as the loudness of it all. If you read the OP you'd see I'm working on bring the sound level down.

Everyone, thanks for the opinions. I actually just finished cutting and bolting up one of my m80's. Here's a quick vid.

Driver side m80. Passenger side, no m80. Just idling.

Big difference in the up close shots. Raspy/Nascar sound is definitely reduced by the m80.
Man the M80's really made a difference. Good job!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

oops double post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Although you didn't rev it, at idol ( American) it sounds better, to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pypes LTs, H-pipe, Mac Axle Backs, Detroit Rocker, No Cats = Loud