Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to open fuel door on 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Sh*t happens....
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Any of you guys worry about someone putting something in the gas tank? With you being able to open it from the outside, and no cap, it seems all to easy for something bad to happen.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95PreludeSi
Any of you guys worry about someone putting something in the gas tank? With you being able to open it from the outside, and no cap, it seems all to easy for something bad to happen.
Aside from putting a lock on it, the exact same fear should exist for any car that has a cap as well....

My RX cars all had a little tab you pulled up on next to the driver seat, and my '08 GT obviously was like all the rest, just opened up. When I took my '11 GT to the gas station for it's first tank of 93...yeah, I sat there for a good 5 minutes trying to find the gas door opener button as well

Finally got out of the car, went to the lid and attempted to see if it someone just 'popped' open, and found that it deflected to my touch, and voila!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

At first I was poking fun at the OP but if Ford in all their wisdom failed to even mention it in the OM then I take it back. Still, I can't help laugh at the picture in my head of people standing there with the pump in one hand and scratching their head with the other.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I have an '07. Even with the lip for your finger, I thought there would be an inside release. I remembered to ask my salesman, and he said there was none. When I first saw the models without the lip I thought they had finally gone to an inside release. Actually, a good question, OP.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Being as I have had a lot of Mustangs I knew you opened it manually at the door, but it did take a bit of figuring out that you had to push it in instead of pull on it. Like a door at a store or restaurant, when pulling it didn't work I pushed it.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Yeah, for whatever reason I didn't have trouble getting it open. My last car had the release inside the car though, so I can understand what other people are talking about.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

No problem with somebody putting things into, or siphoning gas. Even though the door is easy to open, there is a locking mechanism in the filler tube and you cannot put anything in it except the gas filler spout. I didn't believe it at first, and tried to put my finger in the opening and sure enough the filler tube was sealed by a swivel plate. In case you haven't found it, there is a special plastic spout under the trunk mat with the spare. If you ever have to add gas from a can you need that plastic spout to open the filler tube.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM
ShaneGT

I will admit it, i sat at gas station for 15min going .. umm.... wtf..... finally got fed up and tryed to pry it open, when i mistakenly pushed it.. and poof.. it opened.. lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Spd2Stang

I had some issues as well, but ended up figuring it out. I found the spout last weekend when i was looking to see if another 19inch wheel would fit in the spare spot. In order to get the metal cap open for thegas tank one would have to push these two plastic retainers that are located in filler hole pushed out in order to release the metal piece. Even then its would be very difficult to get both fingers and a hose in the hole at the same time without some help.
Just FYI if you have the brembo package and dont wanna rely on your fix a flat/air pump in the trunk, you can fit another 19 inch wheel with 255/40 tires in that spot. You could either take out the fix a flat box or find a spot for it.

Quick Reply: How to open fuel door on 2011?