Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas from walmart?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
LostBoyz, I am completely in agreement on the stupid stuff that goes on. Like people abusing a system. I don't like that kind of stuff anymore than you. But here is the one point in want to make. If we turn the jobs in question into $10-15 / hour jobs and then spread that to other jobs that some think are too highly paid. What is going to happen to a majority of the working class automobile purchases? They will not be buying the very cars you are making. Just drive by a plant where they pay that kind of money and take a look at the junk some people HAVE to drive. My father in law worked for GM. When they moved Cavalier production to Mexico,what happened to the price of the car....it stayed the same price.
Thats not what I am saying at all. You have a skill, that means you have worth. You can do what few can do and your pay would reflect that, union or not. Someone with no skill is worth only goes up by how bad the job is and how few are willing to do it. If you dropped the union in unskilled labor I'm sure the pay rate would drop at first, people would quit, then new people would come in and a new equilibrium would be met. Again, no one is saying you have to live in a box and eat crackers, but if thats what the only job you are qualified for will offer you maybe you need to get more qualified. Whats ths difference between a sign holder and someone sitting on their couch? A slight bit of uncomfort does not warrant $12/hr + benefits.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

I shop at Walmart all the time, Gas Is Gas, Unions make American made products expensive. Eventually we will be a country of buyers not makers.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
I shop at Walmart all the time, Gas Is Gas, Unions make American made products expensive. Eventually we will be a country of buyers not makers.
You think unions only exist in this country?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Ripper902
American made doesn't necessarily mean more expensive.
It also doesn't mean that it was necessarily "Made" in the USA.

GM cars for example. a VIN beginning with 1 is made out of 60% or more US made parts, a 2 means 60% or more are foreign made parts (or the other way around).

Point is, just because it says "Made in the U.S.A' does not mean it's 100%...
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

lol thats not how a VIN works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ication_Number

Every electronic component anywhere in the world was more than likely made in asia. So right there most parts on a car are at least coming from there.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
a VIN beginning with 1 is made out of 60% or more US made parts, a 2 means 60% or more are foreign made parts (or the other way around).
Get your facts straight......................'1' final point of assembly - USA, '2' -Canada

not sure where you came up with your convoluted scheme

opps....sorry Lostboy I see you provided a link !

Last edited by Mikado463; 02-17-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Holy smoke. Like I said before. I should make only $5 an hour, live in a box on the other side of town from you and live off of peanut butter and crackers. Just remember the next time, you fly in a plane, drive over or under a bridge, buy a house, stay in a motel, drive on a street, or any other of the many things we all do on a day to day basis, some poor bastard had to build it. You can have all of the engineering and education in the world, but unless you have the people to actually build or make it, it DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Here ends the dicussion on my part.
Your response is the real problem. You believe you're entitled to a good life or at least as good as someone who had to further their education for their field. Nobody is entitled to a job, a car, a home, insurance, good food or a great salary. Just because you work hard doesn't mean you should be overpaid. Just because you work doesn't mean you should be overpaid. People on an assembly line can work hard. A lot of it is strenuous on the body from repetition or from being on your feet all day. I've done jobs that were hard work and hard on my body but i wasn't overly paid for it and i never thought i should be paid more because of how hard i was working. I was fine with that. I understood i was paid for the type of work i was doing. It made me driven to advance my life to where i am today. Some people would be fine with staying where they are making a small wage. Those that aren't have the opportunity to do better if they want to. It's an individual choice. Everyone should work hard but not everyone should be paid $20+/hr.

Unions had their place and time in the early days of the American worker. Back then there were no worker's rights or labor laws. Now we have those things and the union is obsolete. The unions today have become nothing more than entitlement seekers and slaves for the radical left. The workers have been mislead and used. It's a shame they don't see it.

Unions are about control more than they are about the rights of the worker. Unions typically kill their industry. The airlines had to be bailed out. The auto industry had to be bailed out. Baseball has suffered greatly due to their strike back in the 90s and has been on the decline ever since. Their solution was to look the other way to players using steroids so we'd see more home runs and we all know how that turned out. Football and basketball are close to ruining themselves too and lockouts are likely. The next bailouts you'll see will be for the public service unions that the states can't pay out the pensions for because they've bankrupt the states. Are you seeing a pattern yet with unions? Even worse, unions are now being used by the radical left for their agenda. The modern day union has bankrupt America. How long before your job is outsourced or sold to a third world nation for the radical left's plan of redistribution of wealth? The union or the government won't save you then because they're the ones that put you out of work. Don't be naive.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Actually, I blame unions as part of the reason why jobs are going to China. They are hard headed bastards (well, there are some that are not) who refuse to compromise with the companies and the companies just say "screw it" and fire them all and send theyr jobs out of country.

An example is Catapiller. Catapiller had a massive tractor factory in IL, I think. The unions went on strike when they had no right to. Catapiller was treating the employees very well and paying them decently.
The unions were so damn stupid that they held the strike anyway. Catapiller said "screw if" fired the union workers, demolished the factory, and moved all the machinery and assembly tooling to MEXICO!!!!!! So, Mexicans who are paid way less with much less benefits do the same work and thousands of Americans are out of work.

Unions have their place, but in the case of Catapiller, the F*** it up royally.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Lost boy
I'm not sure why you would think "You think unions only exist in this country?" Unions don't exist in China and that's were we are talking. The American public and unions are to blame for American companies going out of business. Every time some idiot buys a Toyota or Honda or any other foreign car/truck it just drives another nail in the American Auto business. Union contracts with auto makers are just as much to blame. Unions used to have a real purpose now they are just money hungry.