Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a car a head turner, thumbs up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.73-11
...heck my red 06 caused a georgia state trooper to come within inches of slamming into the back of a m5 on the freeway coming home from work one day. You know you have a bada** car when the cops come up to you and give you the nod wave or thumbs up
Originally Posted by CutterWolf
LOL! I know what your talking about. I've had several cops ask me to light the tires up for them and I get the nod wave and thumbs up from them all the time.
I wish my ride were more of a positive thing for me when it comes to cops. Hell. I get profiled all the time, I see cops putting their lasers or radar guns on me just to see if my car really goes as fast as whatever rumors they hear about pony cars.

I did however get stopped one night and got a compliment from a cop, he was going to give me a ticket, but after we just kicked back and talked about whatever for a good while, including cars LOL, he let me go with a only warning!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think you first have to choose the things that will age gracefully, without dating the car back to any particular time period. In this respect, subtle mods that are still enough to notice will be your friend. Leave the over-the-top stuff alone, as it'll be something different next year or next month and you'll never be "caught up".

Do the car up for her (or at most, the two of you) and nobody else, as opinions from others can just as easily be fickle as complimentary, and she'll probably be more sensitive to that than you. Security in your choices comes from within.

Originally Posted by GibMax
We started looking. Figured a budget of $15,000 for say a 2005-2007 Mustang. Been seeing mostly V6 in that range. Would like a V8 (good luck with that budget).
How much of a leap would a 2011 V6 be? I honestly haven't kept track of new car pricing.

Oh, and gotta be a automatic transmission.
The way you'd get the car to be a head-turner from the people who would actually get to ride in it would be if it was a manual. They're relatively uncommon overall as far as daily-drivers are concerned, and rarer still when it's the wife driving it as hers. (I think my wife gets a kick out of it when people at her office realize firsthand that all of the different cars she's driven to work and out at lunchtime have all been stick.)

Norm
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i agree with the clean and not over done comment. people tell me all the time they see mustangs that "are too much" and like that mine is clean. It's a fine line between taste and trash sometimes.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i agree with the clean and not over done comment. people tell me all the time they see mustangs that "are too much" and like that mine is clean. It's a fine line between taste and trash sometimes.
Totally, you and Norm hit it on the head: What might be "cool" today as an over the top thing will become ugly tomorrow, even by the over the top guys, and even they will say the mod becomes rice.

Oh, and don't ever do this to your 'Stang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Ezb...eature=related
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
mattstang2007
3rd Gear Member

100% agree with dont over do it. Honestly if you keep your car clean, throw some nice rims on it.Thats all you really need, lowered to if you like that I think it adds to the rims myself. The only mods I have that arent go fast mods are rims, lowered and I keeps it clean man. I get people all the time saying how nice my car is or I get a thumbs up. Oh if your car is loud, that helps too cause people want know where that sweet sound is coming from. My car sounds like a nascar lol, that helps it to get noticed then they notice the clean looks and nice rims.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

For 05-09s? Not having a spoiler or massive fking fog lights.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 PM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReverseTime
For 05-09s? Not having a spoiler or massive fking fog lights.
I have the eleanor grille with the tri bar pony emblem. I always get compliments and I definitely don't think its over the top....
Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Socal6r

OP's wife wants a car to get looks? Lol

But then again i guess we all like attention on some level
Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I would have to say this turns heads...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54105
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPony
I would have to say this turns heads...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54105
Link no worky!

I don't have to register to see the link? If so, can you post the pics here instead?
Sorry to be a bother, but I am a member on too many boards already! LOL

Quick Reply: What makes a car a head turner, thumbs up?