Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shopping...first mustang...need a few questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Default Car shopping...first mustang...need a few questions answered

Newbie here.

Wife wants a mustang, 2005-2009. I need to know a few things.

1) how big a difference, realistically speaking, is there in the drivability between a GT and V6?

2) At what general age(in miles) is everyone seeing before the GT is needing some general age related maintenance? V6?

I'm a Toyota 4wd guy so the Mustang world is Foreign to me(pun intended).
Old 02-08-2011, 02:09 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

1) It is what you want. Personally I hate a open diff on a rear wheel drive car. So it was GT for me from the get go. Gas mileage does not vary that much, and if you can cough up the money for the extra insurance you pay it is GT all the way.

2) Depends, my 05 gets the occasional electrical gremlin (traction control needs checking, yet it works fine, go figure). But other than that nothing. But I had it from new, so whoever had the car first could have been a saint, or a sinner. That impacts reliability of a car.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I, too, come from a line of 6 Toyotas; 3 of them T4R 4x4's.

I currently have an '07 GT (mine) and '06 V6 Pony (g/f's). The g/f likes "pretty" and is quite happy with the V6, even after driving my GT with her lead foot. Both are excellent vehicles. It sounds like the choice should be your wife's.

I recommend that you get familiar with the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) in the sticky to this main forum. There are a few of the issues that can be a show stopper such as the water leak.

Longevity speaking, there are a few owners here that are in the mid 100,000 mile range. Overall, the Stang doesn't fare as well as our "foreign" vehicles but certainly has come a long way from the domestics of 10-40 years ago. Ford has made some great progress. With the exception of a weak link charging system and a few minor items in the TSB's, the S197's are about average or higher on reliability.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I would just go have her test drive both and see what she is most comfortable with. It's not really a question that anyone can answer. It's all personal preference.

I have a GT and it's my daily driver. I have a tuned auto, so the throttle is a bit touchy, but you just learn to control it. If this is a daily driver, you also need to keep the commute in mind, traffic etc. Insurance is going to be a little more and you will use a little more gas, but I'm happy I got the GT.

Between 40-50k miles, I had my fuel filter, battery, rear brake pads replaced and new tires. Aside from regular oil changes, that has been it so far.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

05/06 can have the dreaded water leak, fortunatly mine did not. Water drains into the passenger side right over the fuse box......can get nasty. I bought mine used Oct 09 and its been a great car. Lots of good deals out there, shop around.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

I recommend a V8 5 speed, very fun to drive.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Hi, there is a difference when comparing the V6 & GT driving experience. The V6 has a softer ride compared to the GT. The suspension on the GT is more confident and the sound of the V8 compliments the handling characteristics.

As far as maintenance goes perform the recommended scheduled service.
You would probably change the battery every 4 years, front brakes every 20,000 miles, rear brakes every 25,000+ miles, Spark plugs are recommended around a 100K....I disagree I would change around 50,000, Fuel filter every 15,000 miles or every 3rd oil change(my way). These cars are pretty much bullet proof and last forever.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

When you test drive, make sure she drives the V6 first if you want her to get the V6. Otherwise, she'll never ever want the V6. It's a BIG, NOTICEABLE difference when you drive the V8 first. The car just feels SO MUCH HEAVIER.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, for a newb. I do appreciate it. Many forums treat us new guys like idiots and then we never get answers.

I figured it was going to be like the last poster mentioned. Once she drives the v8 the v6 seems heavy.

I don't have a problem getting the V8 as the slight Mpg difference doesn't kill the deal and I hate the idea of a V6 car that looks like it should have some power, but doesn't. My wife is like one of the previous poster's GF. She like the "pretty" so the power for now it's neccesary.

Here is my thought. We've been married 7 years(today actually) and I've watched her go through cars like toilet paper. Each time she settled for something less than she really wanted and it has caused her to continuously want something bigger and better. So while for now she likes the look of the simple V6, why not find a GT so that there is nothing left to want, as the foreeable future doesn't provide for any special Mustangs(rousch, Shelby, etc).

I guess I don't want two years to go by and her wanting the GT when a little patience Nd due dillegence could have saved a headache.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
...You would probably change the battery every 4 years, front brakes every 20,000 miles, rear brakes every 25,000+ miles,.
Is this your first car or are you diluted? Just toss the shop a blank check and let them have your way with your car, huh? Brakes are not changed on some set mileage but based on wear. I've had brakes that the shop refused to replace at 150,000 miles.

Originally Posted by daredevil95
These cars are pretty much bullet proof and last forever.
I suppose you forgot that the OP is a Toyota owner. Comparing a Ford to a Toyota as far as lasting forever is like trying to polish a turd.

Flame on...

Quick Reply: Car shopping...first mustang...need a few questions answered