Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

miles acceptable on new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
ccbulldog
1st Gear Member

Default miles acceptable on new car

I have just worked out a deal to buy a new 5.0 convertible over the internet at a ford dealer that is 200 miles away. THe sticker is $42,500 and he is selling it for $38,880 plus I get the cheap Ford financing of 1.9% for 48 mos. I was scheduled to go pick it up tomorrow. BUT!! heres the kicker. When he emails me the paperwork to sign he tells me the car has 400 miles on it but it was all by the dealership owner who took it home on the weekends some. Needless to say I was concerned. Should I be?? When I let him know I was concerned he agreed to knock another $200 off but said that was the best he could do and he acted like I was getting upset for no reason. I need some advice quick.
By the way, I first talked to a dealer 500 miles away but later found the dealer only 200 mils away and thought it would be better to get it closer and have fewer miles when i got home but now it will have more. THe one 500 miles away has now been sold too.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccbulldog
I have just worked out a deal to buy a new 5.0 convertible over the internet at a ford dealer that is 200 miles away. THe sticker is $42,500 and he is selling it for $38,880 plus I get the cheap Ford financing of 1.9% for 48 mos. I was scheduled to go pick it up tomorrow. BUT!! heres the kicker. When he emails me the paperwork to sign he tells me the car has 400 miles on it but it was all by the dealership owner who took it home on the weekends some. Needless to say I was concerned. Should I be?? When I let him know I was concerned he agreed to knock another $200 off but said that was the best he could do and he acted like I was getting upset for no reason. I need some advice quick.
By the way, I first talked to a dealer 500 miles away but later found the dealer only 200 mils away and thought it would be better to get it closer and have fewer miles when i got home but now it will have more. THe one 500 miles away has now been sold too.
Let me ask you an honest question and I dont mean to be a dick or make you feel bad about the car. If you worked at a dealership and were able to drive a new car with a new 412hp motor that just came out, wouldnt you want to see what it could do??... Honestly bro its up to you, but I bought my car as a demo with 2k miles and that question is always on the back of my mind. Its my first car and we got a really good deal on it, but if I were buying myself a new 5.0 when I graduate college or w.e, I would want NEW NEVER TOUTCHED, STRAIGHT OFF THE TRUCK. That is just my opinion though, for all you know they could've babied the car.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

wouldn't bother me at all. i bought a new car w/18 miles on it. also bought a demo with 6k. my mustang had a couple hundred.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

This depends on one's opinion.....I consider a car with less then a 100 miles new, but 400 miles is still a new car.....it just has been used a little. I don't like the fact the dealer did not disclose the amount of miles at the begging of the deal. That's a questionable error?

To be honest I don't feel your getting a great deal at $38,680.00 but, I don't have any dealer invoice information in front of me. Maybe someone else will have that info to help you out. I'm thinking a new car, slightly used with 400 miles should be had for under $37K but, that's just my opinion and we all know....opinions vary.

If the car makes you happy and you want it....get it. If the mileage/price issues are not sitting well within you....walk away from the deal. There are plenty of Mustangs available and another car that is meant to be.....will be. Good Luck!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

IMO that when I used to do PDI's (Pre Delivery Inspections) I would torture the hell out a vehicle for 10 miles, I figured if it could handle my beating, it could handle the customer. Now in your case it has 400 miles and I would bet that the driver or drivers that put that 400 miles on beat the hell out of it. Just think of how people abuse things that they don't own. Or it could have been babied for that 400 miles. There is a chance that you could be taking it in for warranty work every week cause of how they drove it. You know they will never be honest as to how it was treated. If anything get them to take off another $1000 off just so you feel like you got a deal and they got to sell a car. Go with your gut on this. Me personally, if it was new I would take it with no more than 10 miles on it. Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

the big question is - why didn't you know the "new" GT had so many miles on it?
Are you only shopping over the Internet? If that's the case then you need to buy a brand new car, as that one described needs an inspection before purchase! You going to drive 200 miles and then have someone inspect it? I doubt the dealer would even allow it.
I've said this several times before, as there can be damage from abuse after just a few miles, much less 400!

If you must have a deal, then your arms will be tied, but I'd keep searching.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
imboden
1st Gear Member

I'd be good with it, but thats comin from a guy that bought my GT used with 13,000 on it. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

b4 i got it i would go over there and look it over. 400 miles could easily put nicks in the paint and stuff like that and personally that wouldnt be acceptable for me. and at 38k unless its fully loaded (which i guess it is bc of the sticker) thats not a deal i would jump on
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

My car had the same thing. 400 miles driven by the manager, She's never given me a problem. Runs smooth and gets me tons of girls
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Just be sure the paperwork shows the mileage as-delivered to you, then put it out of your mind.

My dealer found my car at another dealership about 300 miles away and sent someone out to drive it back. Didn't bother me one bit other than knowing I wasn't the guy that put those first 300 miles on her.

Quick Reply: miles acceptable on new car