Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
I have to advise against a "loud" exhaust with a V6, since it will sound pretty schitty. Open headers and/or no cats won't sound good on a V6. There's a difference between a loud/obnoxious exhaust and a good sounding one. Do what you want but just something to think about. It's one thing with a V8 or GT

Bottom line, if you want loud, go with open headers but don't expect compliments
Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
I think you're the only one who noticed the whole v6 thing.
Originally Posted by Alec
The V6s can sound really good with the right set-up but too many people want that V8 sound (rightfully so) and therein lies the problem

all i have to say is a have a v6, no cats, x pipe and dual flowmaster resonators and it sounds like sex and is loud as ****
Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ward_spratlin
possibly though i had the magnaflows before the turbo unfortunetly no vid it did make a difference in the sound but only a little bit btw this is combined with jba shorty headers and before the turbo i had a C&L cai.

magnaflows are rlly good cuz there rlly loud on take off and revs but get quiet at idle so you can talk to people as u daily drive
Which ones are they?
http://4wheelonline.com/Magnaflow_Mu...ms.35223.99989
Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
all i have to say is a have a v6, no cats, x pipe and dual flowmaster resonators and it sounds like sex and is loud as ****
Sorry bro the only thing I got out of that post was "loud sex."
Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X

that would be from the link you provided

05-06 Mustang duals 4.0L V6 - MAG-16605

before the turbo i had it with a the x-pipe they offer and it gave it a much more mellow tone however sense the turbo i have reverted back into the y-pipe
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
well id imagine it is hard to go through a drive thru right?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:03 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ward_spratlin
well id imagine it is hard to go through a drive thru right?
I'd go through drive throughs with my cut outs open.. then I'd turn off the motor to order. When I turn the motor on to move forward, I blow up the mic everytime! rofl
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Full MAC setup with the aggressive mufflers and delete the cats and you're there.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Basically, I want people from miles around to know when I stomp on the gas.
Then I hope I'm never less than miles away when you do. I've been subjected to enough "ear-bleeders" as it is at autocrosses where there were no sound restrictions in place. Or when a particularly loud bike went by, even going the other way.

I really like the sound of the American thunder axlebacks, but they just aren't loud enough
Twenty years from now nothing else will be loud enough either, as your own hearing won't be good enough to hear it very well any more.

Anyone have any ideas?
Don't even try to make it sound like a V8 - can't be done. Sixxers have a sound that's all their own, and the firing order and basic exhaust manifolding (things that you can't change) will not give you a deep rumble no matter what else you do.

Your chances of making it sound like a 1960's XKE Jaguar, a 1970's 240/260/280 Nissan Z, or possibly a watercooled non-Turbo 911 are far better, and that's the direction I think you need to take.

Beware of drone. That will get old no matter who you are or how tolerant you think you are. The 2.5 liter V6 in my 626 (see sig) will drone badly at certain rpms - you can actually feel this in your ears as a throbbing pressure - under heavy load. Think going up a long, fairly steer hill in 5th gear at 55 mph or so. 4th gear (or even 3rd) at 55 or 5th gear on the same hill at 70 mph is actually quieter inside the car. But it sure does play a sweet tune going up and down through the gears.

Give the quality of the sound priority over pure volume.

Harsh-sounding noise is . . . just plain objectionable, shut-it-the-hell-up noise. Would you really want to listen to Roseanne Barr screeching off-key at the top of her lungs?

Quality >> quantity.

Always.

Just so you know, I used to ride a 750cc Triumph bike with shortie mufflers. It wasn't exactly quiet.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-01-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Basically, I want people from miles around to know when I stomp on the gas....And don't call me a jackass...
Will douche bag suffice? Maybe had you stated that you wanted to try to get that traditional muscle car sound but implying that you want to be offensive is another thing.

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
...I used to ride a 750cc Triumph bike with shortie mufflers. It wasn't exactly quiet.

Norm
I'm sorry, Norm. Could you speak up? Some douche bag miles away just stomped on the gas...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:32 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Get a sound clip of a GT, put a couple big speakers in your trunk drill holes in the truck lid so the sound will come out play the sound clip as you drive. lol

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust