Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

After reading these good responses, I see that it really comes down to how comfortable the driver is. I feel that with the way that the instructor told me was the least convenient for me because I'd always stalled either releasing off the clutch too fast or stepping off the brake too fast or over-revving the car by giving too much gas. The neutral method I had no problems with if I recall. I'd probably try both methods again once I receive the car and decide which one is best for me.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

whats a stop sign
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
The instructor told me to engage the clutch while rolling up in 1st and holding down clutch and brake while at full stop. My bro told me that method will hurt the clutch. What he said is to roll up to the stop in with the car in neutral and then brake to a stop. Which is the correct method?
In mostly major city driving, I'd say that neither one is completely right. In NYC if you hold the clutch in while stopped, you'll be doing that lot longer and a lot more frequently than you would if you were out in the country. Meaning that throwout bearing life would be shorter. Neutral with the brakes until you're about ready to go (yellow light the other way, traffic opening coming up if at a STOP sign, etc.).

Rolling up to a stop in neutral is poor practice - it's better to learn how slow you can drag the car down to with the brakes with it still in gear before the engine starts bucking a bit in protest. Clutch down just before that happens.

When I'm waiting to make a left turn across traffic from a middle left-turning-only lane is about the only time I'll leave any car in gear with the clutch pedal depressed for more than just a few seconds.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I like to know how they enforce that one...

-"Sir, I'm pretty sure you were in neutral back there."
-"Really ociffer?? Didn't you hear the decompression valve on my Mustang??"
I've met a guy that ticketed a driver for it. His car ran out of gas at the top of the hill and he coasted down the hill til it stopped. The officer noticed him going really slow, stopped him and the guy told the officer what he did and the cop ticketed him.

I know it sounds like a d1ck move on the cops part, but the guy was a local tool and constant PITA, so I believe that was just karma.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

I see there is going to be a lot of trial and error lol. It's like re-learning to drive all over again.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
bboyatomik

Great discussion, I been driving for ten years and yet never touched a manual, I understand the mechanism, but what should I always keep in mind as well as safety?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

For me it totally depends on the mood I am in. If I want to keep RPMs as low as possible I will slow to a stop while stepping on the clutch. But if I am lazy then I leave it engaged and use engine braking with the brake pads.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 03-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bboyatomik
Great discussion, I been driving for ten years and yet never touched a manual, I understand the mechanism, but what should I always keep in mind as well as safety?
You will develop a "feel" for when to upshift and downshift. Maybe somebody who's newer to it than I can give you some idea how long it might take. What you do have going for you is that you're already familiar with most of the rest of what comes with driving and aren't having to spend much conscious effort toward that, too.

In traffic, accelerating away from a traffic light that just turned green, you will find that the average (moron) SUV driver will be crawling up your bumper while you are upshifting from 1st to 2nd. Reason - upshifting takes a finite amount of time (a second or so) during which time you are actually decelerating slightly.

Mostly, said moron ↑↑↑ hardly knows what a stick shift tranny is, let alone grasps the concepts of its operation or picks up on the fact that you are actually driving with one. So at least in the beginning you might want to run 1st gear out a little longer or a little harder to give yourself a little extra upshift room. "Hurrying up" your upshifts in the beginning is not the way to go. Being unusually hard, abusive, or pushed into clumsiness on your own car to satisfy somebody else's inattention or impatience never is.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-10-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

In traffic, accelerating away from a traffic light that just turned green, you will find that the average (moron) SUV driver will be crawling up your bumper while you are upshifting from 1st to 2nd. Reason - upshifting takes a finite amount of time (a second or so) during which time you are actually decelerating slightly.
This sort of S*** happens to me all the time. Especially, when I am pointing up a hill an stopped at a red.
When the light turns green, asshat who is on my rear bumper thinks I am in an automatic, and rides my *** even to the point where his bumper touches my rear bumper.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i always worry about stopping on hills and someone is real close behind bc i cant always catch the roll back right away

Quick Reply: Driving Manual