Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
I have never heard that one before.
Chances are you'd only have heard it from either a driving instructor (or learning permit "coach") who themselves had a fair amount of manual transmission experience - or from a MT newbie who had just been told the same thing.

Otherwise, it's a technique that simply doesn't show up on the radar screen any more. It doesn't even get mentioned all that often in internet forum discussions. Most cars are automatics that would never need it, and many drivers have gone their entire life without ever driving MT. I'd even bet that there are those who have never even ridden in a MT car as a passenger.

It's just another "tool" that is available to let you make the car do what you want it to be doing, as opposed to what things like gravity would cause it to do otherwise. But to figure it out on your own, you would have to be thinking a bit deeper than "gas pedal = go, brake pedal = stop, steering wheel = stay on the black part". OT and overall, I'm pretty glad the I learned to drive when and from whom I did (parents and H.S. driver ed instructor). Little things like this used to be more commonly known.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-13-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I usually pull it out of gear and coast to stops, even on highways where I can coast for up to a mile before stopping. I only put it in gear after the light turns.

I'm curious, what is the problem with coasting out of gear to a stop?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You are giving up a certain amount of control. Control of speed due to engine compression braking goes away completely, as does your ability to accelerate IMMEDIATELY.

Do not count on always being able to anticipate what will happen, or being able to cram the thing into gear - any gear - in the time available. It may take several seconds longer to get it back into gear than you have available due to the rest of what's happening.

Worst case, a driver gets panicky and either freezes and does nothing at all, gets clumsy and all crossed up, or simply does the wrong thing(s). Don't count on always being immune.

It is not possible to define any circumstances for which coasting in neutral on a public road is always acceptable. Listing the times that you got away with it is nothing more than a (fortunate) historical record that has no influence on what will happen in the future. You see, sometimes poo happens, and it isn't picky about who it happens to or when it happens.

Norm
Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 AM
bboyatomik

So parrallel parking is all about gear?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think English is not your native language.

Try adding some detail to your question - I work with people who came to the USA from other countries, and I still can't figure out what it is that you're asking for.