Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed in Cai+Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Default Disappointed in Cai+Tune

Maybe my expectations were to high i dunno.I bought the Frrp Cai and Bama SCT tuner with 3 tunes,89-91 and 93 tune.So far this was the second/third upgrade,not sure the first would be considered an upgrade,SLP loudmouth axlebacks.
I first put on the 91 octane because that's what i just filled it with in anticipation for the tune.When i started it up,i thought i could feel a little better throttle response and the car rocked a bit when i revved it.On the road,not so impressed.
Well i ran the gas all out and filled up with 93 octane figuring surely this would be really noticeable,i mean people were saying i might not want to use this for daily driving.So i load it all up and it really felt kind of the same.
I'm not here to knock anything,just stating my experience on how i felt about it.I did notice some slight improvement,just not feeling so sure it was a $600 improvement.I could have bought a lot of dress up goodies for what i spent on this.
Is the tune more noticeable on an automatic since it adjusts the shift points?I could see this as a possibility to being able to really feel a difference.
Well the cai is on now and it's water under the bridge,it do look pretty though and i am loving my new to me Mustang!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I really could tell the difference in my 06 GT when I ran the stock set up again...the stock performance was sluggish and had less "snap" to it...I am sure your expectations were a bit over rated...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
RedStangler

I did the FRRP CAI and bama sct tune about a month ago with the performance tune (what I use) set to 93 octane. I'm driving an auto, its my daily driver, and I can definitely see a difference. It isn't a HUGE difference but the throttle is definitely more responsive and the shift points are nicer. It gives the car a bit more *****
I expected a little more as well at first but hell if you want a supercharger get one lol. The CAI + tune is just a nice beginner to make modest adjustments to the car. Everyone in here always talks up their mods so its good to take it with a grain of salt
Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
05StangZz
1st Gear Member

keep in mind it is also a 'canned' tune. To get the most out of it get to a speed shop to have your car custom tuned on a dyno. Every car is different and the canned tune will be better for some vs others.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05StangZz
keep in mind it is also a 'canned' tune. To get the most out of it get to a speed shop to have your car custom tuned on a dyno. Every car is different and the canned tune will be better for some vs others.
I wondered about this but i was getting the impression it was not considered a canned tune because Bama specifically wrote me a tune for what mods were on my car.I have seen it said here Bama/Brenspeed Custom tunes vs canned tunes.
Like i said i am not bitching,i just thought i would feel it more and yes i believe may have been due to some higher expectations.I'll have to reel that in in the future
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
05StangZz
1st Gear Member

Yeah they do tune it specifically for your mods, but as I mentioned before every car is different. Its impossible for them to perfectly tune you car with their tune unless they had your car there. But the tunes those two have are better than most any other canned tunes. They actually give a crap
Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Slug Catcher
1st Gear Member

You get more top end with a CAI. You also get added power from the higher octane tunes.

I was told it was some thing like 2 hp per octane point.

So the diff in tunes going from 87 to 93 is probably 12hp.

There a very big performance improvement with an automatic, but if you have a stick then you wouldnt notice that.

The CAI and tune probably got you about 20-25 hp. Im not sure what you were expecting?

25hp for $600 is cheap.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have an Airaid CAI w/ custom tunes from Brenspeed. Once I uploaded the custom tune, I was able to feel the performance gain instantly! The throttle response is a lot better and pulls a lot harder than stock. I am very pleased with my Brenspeed tunes!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:51 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Originally Posted by Slug Catcher

The CAI and tune probably got you about 20-25 hp. Im not sure what you were expecting?

25hp for $600 is cheap.
^^This.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Should have put that $600 towards the super charger.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in Cai+Tune