Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Even for Mustangers, do the rise of Gas Prices phase you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

This is my DD, but yeah, it's been pricey as hell filling up. I only drive to work 2 times a week though. I will only get 25-30 dollar's worth of gas though. I haven't filled up my tank all the way in about 2 months.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:00 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Sure it does. As awesome as my Mustang is (to me), it doesn't provide some kind of magical barrier to a depleting bank account. Heck, I knew that before the price of gas started increasing. Anyone who mods there car can relate to that.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't matter what you drive, when you have to pay 50% more at the pump, you feel it. Most sane people have a ride that fits thier budget, so this gas BS stings everyone.

As an old fart, I have been through all the celabrated "gas crisises" we have had since 1972 (long gas lines...like they were doing you a favor selling you gas, what BS!).

Anyway, when I bought the Mustang (my first V8) I knew this day would come, but fortunately I have the means to keep driving the car through this next round of BS!

I feel for you youngins (especially students) who have to make hard decisions as to how to spend thier spare cash. Hang in there. The '72 gas BS killed off the 60's muscle cars. Don't let it do the same to the current renaissance of performance cars!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bboyatomik
Since I assume all you guys here are USE to expensive gas ever since you bought the car, does the $4 per gallon ( at least in California) just another number to you?

Personally doesn't really phase me on my 2007, In fact I'm one of those who goes wherever the gas is, not paying attention to the prices on the marquee, I just know I put $25-30 a week.

It doesn't really phase me. I work from home. Drive four miles back and forth to the gym every day. Take the occasional weekend trip here and there.

However, my wife and I are expecting our first new born (baby boy) in a few weeks, so we'll see how that changes my opinion on the rising prices of gas.

It's really hard to keep my foot off the gas with an X-Charger supercharger under the hood
Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

When/if gasoline hits $4 and stays there consistently. And continues to get higher from there. If we don't get economic growth to keep pace with that. That is when you will probably start to see a change. Eventually a lot of people will be selling their truck, SUV, or sports car and/or keep it at home during the week day. Drive a clown car to work that gets 30+mpg. I know when it hits that much my car will be sitting at home on the weekdays.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Luckily (sort of, you make your own luck) I do not even think about the price of gasoline and here it runs approximately 4.50-5.00 a gallon. The toy gets to visit the gas station no more than 3 times a year and the dd (sucks as much or more than the toy) travels in the range of 30 miles a week which means a fill up every 10 weeks. At todays pricing the truck needs 115.00 to fill from empty so on a weekly basis I spend a mere 11.00-12.00 dollars. In the next two weeks I may be retiring which would reduce my gas budget to half what it is currently.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Isn't the Ford Mustang the biggest guzler in the market?
I have a bigger engine, the 5.0L Coyote, and on the freeway, I observe anywhere from 24-26 MPG, within advertised specs.

Now, on straight freeway, on a 100mile trip on flat 65-70MPH, I have observed 28MPG. In the city and hwy mix, my DD activities, I get about 21-22 MPG avg, and that is even peeling out on an occasions (I know, a sin on the streets, but don;t tell the local Joe Cop on the beat!)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

I actually just bought my Stang for improved mileage. Not great for a car, but compared to the truck it's about a 60% improvement. Even w/93 octane it's a much better deal for me.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:50 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

I go through 2 tankfuls a week, so yes I feel it. I have a Brenspeed tune. I've been driving the 93 octane for 6 months but loaded the 87 on the last fill up. I sure miss that extra kick in the pants when passing, but the downgrade wasn't as severe as I was expecting. Even the 87 beats the stock tune. My commuting buddy actually likes the 87 tune better because the 93 is a little aggressive for the passenger.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Since I assume all you guys here are USE to expensive gas ever since you bought the car, does the $4 per gallon ( at least in California) just another number to you?

Personally doesn't really phase me on my 2007, In fact I'm one of those who goes wherever the gas is, not paying attention to the prices on the marquee, I just know I put $25-30 a week.
I was just wondering, do you have a short commute?

Quick Reply: Even for Mustangers, do the rise of Gas Prices phase you?