Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 4.10 Gear Change Story For Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
clubt

Default My 4.10 Gear Change Story For Today

I called Leonard's Performance of Taunton, MA yesterday, Ed's other mechanic said the job would be $450 total in cash for the 4.10 Ford racing Gears. So, I went to my local ATM, withdrew $500 just in case I needed a little extra and headed to Taunton to get the job done. When I got there Ed wasn't there so I checked with his other mechanic that the price was $450 before he started working on my car. He agreed and started working on it. 3 Hours later Ed tells me that my car is done, and the price is $550 cash. I tell him his assistant told me just 3 hours ago that the price was $450 cash. Hmmmmmm, I think a 25% increase in just 3 hours time. So I confront him of the fact that his website says $450 also and that you had mentioned paying $500 last week. He went around in circles about using synthetic fluid and that he broke a bearing on my car which was $20 etc, trying to make me feel I wasn't getting screwed paying $100 more than I was quoted 3 hours before that same day. We finally settled on $525 cash. The gears came out fine, no noises, so in that sense I'm satisfied but for the money matter, I have to be honest, I'll find someone else, which is unfortunate as they were so close.
[:@]
Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My 4.10 Gear Change Story For Today

Did that price include the gear set? If so, thats a hell of a steal. Even at that, I had 4:10s put in my pickup and it came to over $600 WITHOUT the gears. And from what Ive read on these forums, if you got a good job with a quiet gearset, you got nothing to female-dog about!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:10 AM
clubt

Redfire,
Yes it included the gears and labor. It's the point that they quoted me one thing the same day and charged me something else the same day. You cannot run a business that way.
The worst part is he even has this price on his web site which is how me and another customer from another Mustang Tech forum found him in the first place. Check it out for yourself.....
http://www.leonards-performance.com/services.php
Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well, if you were told $450 total, then that should have been the price. I can see the bearing charge because that is something that was unforeseen. But charging you extra for the oil is BS.

Not a bad price. The shop I go to quoted me the same price for parts and labor.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 AM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

$450-$500 is about the going rate for gears + install. The place I'm getting it done is charging $250 install (+$150 gears +$50 install kit = $450)
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
clubt

I'm not saying that I paid too much, it's the principle that they told on the phone it was $450 and I even confirmed this with the mechanic that did the job before he even started working on my car. If he told me that it was going to cost me $700 fine, I'll pay the $700, but don't tell me $450 cash and then tell me $550 cash after the job is completed. Just like the old saying, "don't **** in my ear and tell me that it's raining!" The owner went and called another local shop to see what they were charging for a rear end gear change job and hiked his rate. He should have honored the rate that his mechanic had given me. Kinda like a cop puliing you over for nothing and as he walks around your car and breaks your taillight
with his flashlight, then writes you up for having a light out. It was a complete shakedown!
For those who care, this guy even advertises the 4.10 gear job on his website at $450. Check it out: http://www.leonards-performance.com/services.php
Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 PM
netspider
1st Gear Member

Looks like he changed his site, unless I am looking at the wrong line item, either way not good biz to bait and switch. Hawgman what shop did you use ?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

i know what you are saying dude. a deal is a deal. If it was going to be more money or the guy broke something, that's his problem.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:12 PM
fragstertx
1st Gear Member

Did you get it in writing before they started? It's all in the details. Still sounds you got a decent deal but I know what you mean about the price change leaving a sour taste in your mouth. So how do you like the gears so far? What differences are apparent?

Old 08-26-2005, 05:23 PM
clubt

Yeah,
He did change his site finally, but I'm sure someone said something to him based on one of these forums. It sucks that people have to do business that way. No I didn't get in writing because I verbally communicated with the mechanic that did the work when I got there.
I think he changed his mind after he broke the bearing that had to be replaced and he called a buddy to see how much he would charge for the job. As far as how do they feel, I would have to agree with other posters that the 4.10's seem to pull equally off the line. I know with my stock gears I had, it seemed like 3rd gear would wind out really far. As far as rpm difference though, at 70 mph in 5th with the stock gear ratio I was at 2250 rpm's, now with the 4.10 gears at 70 mph I'm at 2500. Hopefully it won't make a huge difference on my gas mileage.

Quick Reply: My 4.10 Gear Change Story For Today