Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Shimmy/Shake..Have tried everything!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Those machines do NOT know nor can they detect out of round tires. I went through 2 sets of tires first before I got a set that wasn't out of round and all passed road force balancing multiple times. My shimmy is like 95% gone now with the latest set that I have had for about 8k miles now. Before that it was awful. Pirelli tires are world renown now for square tires. I'm sure other manufacturers are similar. There is no quality in this world of mass produced crap. There are at least 2 threads along with this one that documents this problem. The one below went for many months.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...eel-shake.html
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the Pirellis. My stock set was terrible and I know at least 3 other people with different cars that said they rode like junk on Pirellis. I guess I've been lucky because my last set (Yokohama S.Drive) and my current set (Sumitomos) have been great as far as the ride goes.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Not sure what is causing mine but too many people are having these problems with the 5th Generation Mustangs. Oh well. I have better things to spend money on then to fix a little shake. Like more go fast parts. Lol
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Coldness will cause some shimmy since air pressure will be slightly lower, that is why it usually feels better after a little bit of driving or when the temperature out is warmer. Hence it's usually best to measure air pressure in the tires after they are warmed up.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
Those machines do NOT know nor can they detect out of round tires. I went through 2 sets of tires first before I got a set that wasn't out of round and all passed road force balancing multiple times. My shimmy is like 95% gone now with the latest set that I have had for about 8k miles now. Before that it was awful. Pirelli tires are world renown now for square tires. I'm sure other manufacturers are similar. There is no quality in this world of mass produced crap. There are at least 2 threads along with this one that documents this problem. The one below went for many months.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...eel-shake.html

Take your head out of your butt, lol.
It's user error if they do not see an out of round tire. The proper machine with the properly trained tech will detect .00 of an oz on a tire/wheel combo, out of round tire, out of round rim.
The machine knows, it's all about the person using it.
I have balanced more tires than you have taken pisses, if there is an issue with a tire or wheel, I would find it.

If road force variance exceeds limits, usually can be fixed by match mounting the tire to the rim.
I speak from 19 years experience, find a shop that knows what they are doing.

24 different tires, 4 different rims styles, 4 different sizes, on an S197 with 40k miles balanced by yours truly, no shimmy 1-140 mph+

And my car tracks straight, maybe because I did my own alignment too.

Not trying to be an ***, but you need to know how to use the machine you are using.

And the only tires I really came across with a problem were the Chinese/Korean made tires, and extremely large truck tires.

Just saying from many years of experience with many makes of tires guys.

Last edited by Stoenr; 03-23-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM
ba1dwin

Stoenr---Since you have alot of experience with tires can I ask you a few questions?

1) After roadforce balancing the tires, what are the readings that would be acceptable so I know what to look for when I take it back in?

2) If I have a loose TPMS band on my rim and the sensor is not stationary, can this throw off the balance of the wheel (Does the sensor weigh enough; I have crappy AM bands on)? Ford said that since it would be in the middle of the rim it would not but I don't know if I believe that. This is the only thing left I can think of since this shimmy comes and goes while I am driving.

3) Yesterday there was warmer weather in the morning and had almost no shimmy; today it was colder and I had a strong shimmy all the way to work...So coldness can affect the shimmy?

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

The machine will show the tolerances, each tire/wheel assembly will be different depending on size, I am not sure the exact numbers. But if out of tolerances most balancers will show it in red. Just ask if you can be there when they balance them.

If the sensor is spinning around the wheel I would sure think there is enough weight there to throw it off. .25 of an ounce is enough to cause a shimmy.

It's really strange how the cold/warm effects it in your situation, that really is a new one to me.

Are these wheels a universal wheel or something you need the centering ring on them?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

What brand and type of tires did you get? Anything off brand? If you happen to have bought summer tires.. well that would be a reason for temperature differences.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM
ba1dwin

Alkemist: I bought the Dunlop Direzza summer tires so maybe that is a reason for the cold variation.

Stoenr: I do have the hub centric rings on the rims so I dont think that is a problem due to it riding smooth at times. I think your right about a loose TPMS band on the rim throwing off the balance. It's crazy to have 3 separate issues all related to the shimmy that I have been trying to track down.

I guess I will have to pay to have the tires unmounted and the bands re-checked.....and if that doesn't work I might just ghost ride it off a cliff! J/k I love my car but hate all these problems! I appreciate all you guys trying to help me out. I am new to using this forum but can already tell I will be on it daily
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

My bet is that the TPM sensor band is loose. I had the same thing happening. Drove me nuts. I finally just had them take the bands and sensors out and no more shimmy!

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shimmy/Shake..Have tried everything!