Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty Drive Shaft Painting - Expert position needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Question Rusty Drive Shaft Painting - Expert position needed!

Hi together,
i like to paint my rusty drive shaft because i hate all this rusty parts under my stang. (No, i dont want to buy a one piece aluminium drive shaft, because its to expensive for me in the moment ;-))

I have a lot of brake caliper 2 Component Painting at home. This is a really good stuff and it stays without problems over years also on rusty steel parts. Cleaning and degreasing before painting is naturally.
My question is:
What is with the balance of the drive shaft? The painting would be applied constantly on the complete drive shaft, so that the balance should not be a problem in my opinion.

Is this correct, or im wrong? Has anyone here painted his driveshaft too?

Thanks for your answers!!!

Greetings to the community...

Mario
Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Painting of most of of the components under a car is not recommended. What you see on the Driveshaft is surface rust and actually protects the driveshaft from further oxidation.

If you paint it, when that paint begins to age it will flake and create a place for water, salt, dirt, and all sorts of junk to hide and actually accelerate rusting.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Painting of most of of the components under a car is not recommended. What you see on the Driveshaft is surface rust and actually protects the driveshaft from further oxidation.

If you paint it, when that paint begins to age it will flake and create a place for water, salt, dirt, and all sorts of junk to hide and actually accelerate rusting.
Hi,
youre right with your protection theory. Its also possible to apply a rust converter befor painting. This should work.
But it looks really ugly in the moment an i dont like it so. I had never a car with a rusty drive shaft. They were all painted by the factory.

My only problem is the question with the balance of the drive shaft, because someone told me that i have to take care of it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

POR15 is the perfect product on surface (and advanced) rust stuff.
That's what I did to my car.
You can spay it or brush it. The later is the best option so you don't have overspray all over.
I brushed the rear axle housing as well.

All you need to do before applying, is to remove eventual contaminants (like oil etc...) first then wire brush the surface roughly and brush that stuff on.

DO NOT, get any of this material on your skin, it's a pain to get it off.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

I agree with pascal Por 15 is tough stuff and wear gloves when using it they also have a reducer for clean up I did the rear Axel and rotors and what ever else had surface rust on it but went to a one piece DS
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Paint will not effect the balance unless you apply it real thick on one side. Apply even with no problems.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Paint is too light to create any balance issues. Unless you apply 7-8 coats on only one side of the DS you won't have any issues. Think about it-- the DS is 38lbs I believe and you will only spray about 6-8 ounches of paint on it.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by olvanish
Paint is too light to create any balance issues. Unless you apply 7-8 coats on only one side of the DS you won't have any issues. Think about it-- the DS is 38lbs I believe and you will only spray about 6-8 ounches of paint on it.
Hi,
yes, this is what i think too, but i was not sure. I have a very good brake caliper paint, which stays also on rusty parts perfectly.
I calculate only 50-70 grams of paint for the whole driveshaft. This should be really not a problem. Its only a thin even coating.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
POR15 is the perfect product on surface (and advanced) rust stuff.
That's what I did to my car.
You can spay it or brush it. The later is the best option so you don't have overspray all over.
I brushed the rear axle housing as well.

All you need to do before applying, is to remove eventual contaminants (like oil etc...) first then wire brush the surface roughly and brush that stuff on.

DO NOT, get any of this material on your skin, it's a pain to get it off.
Hi,
i know these POR15. Its a good product, but not available in germany. But we have similar products here. I painted my rear axle housing with Hammerite (like POR15) in black.
Good cleaning before painting is a matter of course.
But for the driveshaft i want to use a thinner paint, which stays also very good on rust. The Brake Caliper Paint is thin and stays very good also on rusty parts.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

What about a nice, new, shiny aluminum 1-piece driveshaft? It will not only look better than the factory piece, but it will shed some weight and free up some horsepower

Quick Reply: Rusty Drive Shaft Painting - Expert position needed!