Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade '10 GT for '12 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

There will always be a better car in the future pipeline, but if that can be years from now why wait? The current 5.0 is a badass machine.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Never wait in life....life will fly by while your waiting!! The only time to wait is if the goal is not feasible....then it's not waiting....your stuck for the time being!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Opposing view here. I just traded my 06GT for a 2010 about a month ago. I test drove a 2011 5.0 GTCS and then a 2010GT. I bought the GT because frankly, I didnt think the 5.0 pulled 10k worth more than the 2010. It was more powerful, but now that I have an intake, tune, and mufflers...if feels as good as the '11 GTCS IMHO.

I also traded my 06 which certainly held a place for me emotionally. I do think about it often, my wife looks at it on the internet all the time (http://www.bigmike.com/denver-used-2...77848842-73508), and I wished I had the means to keep it, but I didnt. From a financial standpoint, I simply couldnt pass up the 2010. I consider it personally to be the pinnacle of the 4.6 S197's...why? Because the engine was as good as it was going to get, it was definitely a better runner then my modded 06 in stock form, and it benefited from all the R&D of the 2011 development in that it has not only the looks, but the suspension on it is far better than my 06 ever was.

I would say dont get 5.0 envy yet. Wait until the 50th anniversary and see then. That's my plan.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Wait for the 2014 redesign, it will be worth it and it's only a couple years away.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Opposing view here. I just traded my 06GT for a 2010 about a month ago. I test drove a 2011 5.0 GTCS and then a 2010GT. I bought the GT because frankly, I didnt think the 5.0 pulled 10k worth more than the 2010. It was more powerful, but now that I have an intake, tune, and mufflers...if feels as good as the '11 GTCS IMHO.

I also traded my 06 which certainly held a place for me emotionally. I do think about it often, my wife looks at it on the internet all the time (http://www.bigmike.com/denver-used-2...77848842-73508), and I wished I had the means to keep it, but I didnt. From a financial standpoint, I simply couldnt pass up the 2010. I consider it personally to be the pinnacle of the 4.6 S197's...why? Because the engine was as good as it was going to get, it was definitely a better runner then my modded 06 in stock form, and it benefited from all the R&D of the 2011 development in that it has not only the looks, but the suspension on it is far better than my 06 ever was.

I would say dont get 5.0 envy yet. Wait until the 50th anniversary and see then. That's my plan.
I can't believe that they are asking $19,999 for a 5 year old car. Seems a little to much.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Drano38

Wow, thanks for all the great inputs.
Like computers, we can't wait for the best, because things are always improving, but a 2010 GT is a pretty nice car.
I'll try to get to a dealer next week and drive an '11 or '12 if they've got one and see if Edmonds is close on trade value.
Either way I'm sure I'll be happy. If I keep my '10, maybe I can throw some of that saved money to the other half for her to spend on her hobbies.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Drano38

I got to the dealer Saturday. Test drove an '11 w/ manual and 3.73 gears (all on the lot were that setup). Yep, the 5.0 w/ 3.73 gears has more get up and go than my '10 auto.
I'd get another auto--just easier to drive, and after a Bama tune, it will shift better.
What I don't know is, how much of the perceived performance increase is from the 3.73 gears?
Next problem--I can't order a '12 in candy red because the metallic supply is running out since it comes from Japan. He did find at another dealership a '12 GT Premium auto with the options I want (backup sensors, comfort group), and it also had 19" wheels and HID's which I don't want. That drives the price higher making the trade more.
They'll get me a trade price early this week after they see if the other dealer is willing to give up its car.
Either way, I'll do suspension work, maybe a CS front lower valance and new grill, and possibly upgrade brakes once I learn more about road course driving. And new rear gears could also be in the mix.
The dealer did say they can't keep GT automatics on the lot, so maybe that will help for my trade. I was hoping to trade for less than $5,000, but with the extra options on the car he found, I'm thinking it will be more than that.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
I can't believe that they are asking $19,999 for a 5 year old car. Seems a little to much.
Although I loved that car dearly, I heartily agree.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drano38
I got to the dealer Saturday. Test drove an '11 w/ manual and 3.73 gears (all on the lot were that setup). Yep, the 5.0 w/ 3.73 gears has more get up and go than my '10 auto.
I'd get another auto--just easier to drive, and after a Bama tune, it will shift better.
What I don't know is, how much of the perceived performance increase is from the 3.73 gears?
Next problem--I can't order a '12 in candy red because the metallic supply is running out since it comes from Japan. He did find at another dealership a '12 GT Premium auto with the options I want (backup sensors, comfort group), and it also had 19" wheels and HID's which I don't want. That drives the price higher making the trade more.
They'll get me a trade price early this week after they see if the other dealer is willing to give up its car.
Either way, I'll do suspension work, maybe a CS front lower valance and new grill, and possibly upgrade brakes once I learn more about road course driving. And new rear gears could also be in the mix.
The dealer did say they can't keep GT automatics on the lot, so maybe that will help for my trade. I was hoping to trade for less than $5,000, but with the extra options on the car he found, I'm thinking it will be more than that.
Please keep me posted...I'll watch for your thread. I am in exactly the same boat. KBB is saying mine is worth about 3k more and I've already done some upgrades in the last couple of weeks that should push the value higher still. If you sound like your screwed, I'll slap gears in mine and go though
Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
nite
3rd Gear Member

wc, just an fyi; there are no dealers that will give you extra money on your trade-in based on your mods, and anyone who tells you he is, is not being truthful. An honest dealer will tell you to remove your mods and trade it stock, as they're going to give you the stock trade-in value either way (even if you're told otherwise).

Quick Reply: trade '10 GT for '12 GT?